How to cut crown molding

Old 02-22-08, 05:59 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to cut crown molding

I'm looking to install crown molding in my living room. I have never cut crown molding before and know it can be a challange. Any one have an info on cutting crown molding.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-08, 04:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Cutting and installing crown molding can be a challenge, even to a seasoned diy'er. I'm not sure of your capabilities or your tool cache, so hang on. A good compound miter saw (10" or 12") will be your best friend. A pneumatic finish nailer with a 2 1/2" capacity and compressor make it easy to install. If you have a good saw, there are detents on the saw miter table at 31.6 degrees right and left. Also bevel can be set at about a 30 degree detent. These settings will allow you to place your crown molding flat on your table and cut accurately. If not, then you have to remember the ceiling is above you and the saw is cutting the opposite, since it is on the floor, so your crown molding will have to be placed on the saw upside down and backwards to get the proper cut. Now, if you are intimidated by making these cuts, you always have the option of buying corner (outside and inside) plinth blocks made for crown. By installing them, you only have to make straight cuts on your crown. A nice solution and it looks good, too. Good luck with the project.

Old 02-24-08, 02:15 PM
only tips I can add, is use some scrap pieces and label the cuts, they can act as helpful guides your first time out. Inside cut/outside cut etc. Also youtube has some helpful vids if you need something more visual.

Old 02-27-08, 06:41 PM
S
Thanks Guys

Thanks guys. I found a book on the internet at www.install-crown-molding.com. It helped a lot. It was'nt that hard after all the book had good directions and pictures in it. I had to get a miter saw but I'm sure I will use it on more projects.