Trying to increase depth in cabinet for receiver

Old 02-25-08, 11:41 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trying to increase depth in cabinet for receiver

Hi

I'm trying to move all my home theater equipment into built-in glass-door cabinets flanking a brick fireplace. They are 12" exactly from the back (a piece of 3/4" MDF attached to the sheetrock) to the door glass. Problem: my audio receiver is 12.5" deep without cables plugged in. Even if I use right angle RCA plugs I figure I still need another 1/2-3/4 inches depth. Removing the glass doors is not an option (per my wife).

I figure it's more feasible to increase the depth just for the inputs that require it, rather than the entire width of the receiver. Can the forum advise if it is possible to route (sp?) one or more cavities in the rear piece of MDF for this purpose. If possible, what kind of tool would be required? I'm not too fussy about a nice finish since the receiver will hide everything.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-08, 01:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Bummer. You could use a fortsner bit and drill a series of round holes about 1 1/2" in diameter in the MDF, eliminating that 3/4" in the locations of the rca plugs. This may give you the depth you need.

Old 02-25-08, 01:19 PM
M
Sounds Like A Job For A Jig Saw

If I understand you correctly, the back of the cabinet could be removed for more space. If so, try drilling a hole large enough to insert a small razor saw. Cut out an opening big enough to allow the receiver to slide back into the cabinet. Becareful to allow enough space for cooling.

Old 02-25-08, 01:48 PM
S
thanks for the welcome chandler!

I like the forstner bit idea.

MALAPP1 - there would be a fair bit of room vertically above the
receiver for air to circulate so I'm not anticipating cooling being a problem.

Thanks to you both -