Type of Wood to use?

Old 03-01-08, 06:37 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Type of Wood to use?

I am looking at building some cabinets for my mud room. I am hoping to apply a distressed type look to them. My past projects have all been stained and using Oak.

What is the best type of wood to use in this situation as well as paint over? It seems to me that Oak might be a good choice for as hard as it is, but seems strange to be painting over the character of the wood.

Also, I see numerous ways to distress wood. I would like to give it a very subtle distressed Ivory look. What i was considering was, to paint the wood white first, once dry, sand lightly using around a 180 grit sandpaper to re-expose areas of wood. Then apply an English chestnut(?) type stain over the entire area? Has anyone done this? Also, would you apply a poly to this once done or how would you seal it?

Any recommedations would be appreciated since this is my best guess on how to do this.

Thanks for the assistance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-08, 06:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
You may get better results in the paint part of the forum, but I agree with you in not painting oak. Better results may be gained from using poplar, which accepts paint well and retains a smooth texture, unlike oak, which will raise the grain when painted. You can get birch Sandeply from the big box stores in 3/4" with something like 7-9 plies, which is cabinet grade for this type work, and you can trim it with poplar or pine and paint.

Old 03-02-08, 08:36 AM
Distressing Wood

Here is the easiest way in the world...

1. Distress the finish - a few nicks with a hammer. a few small nail holes (looks like old worm holes) and so on. Some people use a chain and hit the surface.

2. Paint the light base coat in off white, cream, what ever color you want (but lighter) paint leaving brush strokes, (strokes should mimic the wood grain).

3. When dry, take a wood stain in a soft brown, or a brown paint (thinned with water or a thinning compound) and rub it over the surface with a balled up rag. Rub extra where the natural stains would be darker, like near the edges, where dust would be harder to clean... Do it lightly and add more coats to get the right look. I have used this technique many times, and you can't mess up. It's so easy. The stain fills in the brush strokes, and darkens inside the dents and dings. It's a great effect. If it's a big surface, you can brush on the stain and rub it off as well.

Chris Rivademar

Last edited by twelvepole; 03-02-08 at 10:08 AM. Reason: No advertising or advertising links allowed.
Old 03-02-08, 04:44 PM
O
Excellent. I will try both. Thanks for the responses.