Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Carpentry, Cabinetry and Interior Woodworking
Reload this Page >

Sloped garage floor causing problems for workbench design

Old 03-01-08, 07:50 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I want to build a workbench for my garage and I already have the basic idea in mind. The problem I am runing into is that the garge floor is slopped to the front of the garge and I dont want the table to wobble. I was thinking about buying some heavy duty casters which would give me the added bonus of moving the table around. The work bench will be about 8ft long by 2 1/2 feet deep.Is there any drawback to using casters or does anyone have another idea on how to avoid the issue of the sloped floor. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-08, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Depending on your usage of the bench, not sure about using casters. Even heavy duty locking casters will allow the bench to 'wobble' if you are doing say, planing of wood on it. Some big heavy adjusters (like on pool table legs), might be a better choice to keep it level and wobble free. Of course you do lose the moveable aspect.

Old 03-01-08, 08:53 AM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I can't imagine that much slope. If you built it across the back of the garage, the front legs would be 30" from the wall. The table may be a fraction of a degree off level but not enough to be a problem. The most important part of preventing wobble is to angle brace the table both on the sides and back.

Old 03-11-08, 12:54 AM
J
[IMG][/IMG]Your first drawback is moving a table 8' x 2'-6" It would have to have at least 6 legs for proper support. I think you best bet is to build against back or side wall for proper support. You could make or buy a smaller table for moving around.
If you are still interested I can give you some ideas how to build..................

Old 03-11-08, 07:40 PM
S
my question - is there a distinction between wobble and level?

If the floor is uniformly sloped from front to back or side to side then if all four legs of a table are 30" long then the table won't wobble but it won't be level

for an 8' long table you should use 6 legs as mentioned - once again if it is uniform slope - all 30" legs no wobble, just not level

If the slope is not uniform or uneven in spots then you should build the table to be level and in a fixed location

If you build the table level to compensate for the slope AND use castors, whenever you move to a different location the table will be out-a-whack.

So your choice seems to be build to be mobile or build level and attach it to the garage wall for stability and strength.

Now if you want to over complicate the matter - build a sub-table on castors and then add a bench level that can be adjusted on 6 points and leveled (if you do that take a pic because I would like to see it)

Old 03-11-08, 08:28 PM
J
As you can see i have my fixed bench against wall.
for a mobile table I use my Craftsman table saw mounted on a 4 leg steel stand. This table has 4 rubber pads under each foot of table. Each leg has an adjustable screw up or down
Wheel---roll table where you want--turn up wheels & table is stable. I have a piece of plywood I can mount on top of saw to make a good work area.--This stand can be purchased w/ out saw....................
There is a lot of ways to skin a cat.................

Old 03-12-08, 03:37 PM
K
Better 4 wheels with sturdy frame than 6 wheels because frame sags. Unless you have a perfectly flat floor.

A good way is to use fixed casters at one end, and regular casters at the other. Beside these regular casters, have some lock down - like a big bolt through bracket - that will tighten against the floor. With a few turns on whichever end is low you can immobilize the bench, and even level it with many turns on both. Might fit a little rod through the bolt so you needn't use a wrench.

A rude solution: (Fixed) Casters under one end, just blocks & shims under the other, depending on floor level. You can pick up one end and wheel it around unless it's heavily loaded at your end. Large power tools are moved this way.