Installing oak railing end caps

Old 03-07-08, 08:58 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing oak railing end caps

About 10 years ago I installed an oak rail for my stairs. It's just a rail screwed into the wall. I never got around to attaching the end caps. I bought them today but have no idea how to attach them. I know I'll need wood glue but I don't know how to secure the pieces while the glue is drying. Any suggestions. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-08, 09:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is this the oak rail like you buy at the big box stores? If so, they also sell a kit to install the end caps.

Basically, you drill a hole underneath the rail, then drill a through hole into the end of the banister. There are corresponding holes in the end cap. then insert the hardware from the kit, which is a long screw with a metal rounded piece that works to draw the ends together.

Worst design ever!

I think if you drill corresponding holes in the end of the banister and the end cap, get some screws with threads on each end, twist them together and apply wood glue between them, it would work fine.

Old 03-07-08, 12:50 PM
C
You need to use a rail bolt. Here is a how-to on it.

http://www.coffmanstairs.com/pdf/faq7.pdf

Another thing to keep in mind, most modern building codes require the rail be "returned" to the wall (rather than just an end cap), if its run next to a wall.

Old 03-07-08, 12:56 PM
B
Originally Posted by connie View Post
Is this the oak rail like you buy at the big box stores? If so, they also sell a kit to install the end caps.

Basically, you drill a hole underneath the rail, then drill a through hole into the end of the banister. There are corresponding holes in the end cap. then insert the hardware from the kit, which is a long screw with a metal rounded piece that works to draw the ends together.

Worst design ever!

I think if you drill corresponding holes in the end of the banister and the end cap, get some screws with threads on each end, twist them together and apply wood glue between them, it would work fine.

The rails and end pieces are from Home Depot. There is no kit. I thought about drilling holes and using screws but it will be almost impossible to center the holes on each piece. then as they are screwed in they must line up. There is no margin for error here. the pieces must match exactly. I was hoping there was another way. I'll see if I can find the kit you were talking about. thanks.

Old 03-07-08, 01:02 PM
C
Cut a 1/8" slice off your rail or endcap, measure and drill hole in the center of this piece. Then use this slice for a template for drilling a hole on both the rail and endcap.

Old 03-07-08, 01:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The PDF that Chris listed is what the kit contains...the wrench and the rail bolt. The instructions on the pdf are clearer than the ones that came with the kit, and Chris is correct about lining up the two ends by cutting a slice from the rail. It still was a difficult job...there's no room to maneuver in the hole you've drilled and I kept knocking off the washer and having to retrieve it.

Try Lowe's, or I'm sure you can order online...just search for rail bolt kit.

Old 03-07-08, 01:21 PM
B
Thanks. I knew there had to be a way. Too bad I just got back from Lowes.