cabinet door construction question

Old 03-08-08, 05:16 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cabinet door construction question

hey all,

I am building my cabinet doors and opted to go with a panel and frame construction. I am using 1/2 plywood for the panel and 3/4 inch stock for the stiles and rails. I cut a 1/2 rabet in the backs of the stiles and rails to take the 1/2 panel (which i undercut by 1/4 of an inch to allow for expansion...I was planning on caulking the gap, is that a good idea?).

The one issue with my design is that I did not account for how to secure my panel to the frame So, my question is can i use glue to secure the panel into the frame? Would that be sufficient?

Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-08, 04:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Votes on 260 Posts
My kitchen cabinet doors are of similiar design except I stained mine and used 1/4" ply for the panels. I glued and stapled the panels to the frame.

On raised panel doors, the panels aren't glued or caulk so they can expand/contract as needed but with a fixed panel, it is ok to caulk as needed.

Old 03-09-08, 03:21 PM
J
For a minute, it sounded like Norm on TOH. I usually don't reply to anything Mark says, he is usually spot on. But IMHO, panels and frames should never be joined. They must be free to breath separately. I apply this to everything I make, works for me.

For the record, in addition to the cabinets I have built, I am working on a 36 Plymouth woody. And all the plywood panels are screwed(not glued) tightly to the frames(but that is how they did it 70+ yrs ago). Disregard the above comments.

Old 03-09-08, 06:19 PM
C
When I use plywood as a panel in frame and panel doors, I usually glue the plywood in place. I caulk if it will be painted. The expansion and contraction of the plywood is nil.