Homemade TV Lift Ideas

Old 03-08-08, 05:45 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Homemade TV Lift Ideas

I'm looking to build in a small flatscreen TV into a wall below a counter separating our living room & Kitchen, where my wife doesn't want to see the TV unless we're watching it. When not in use, have it descend back down & the top become part of the wooden countertop. I have sent away to a company specializing in this type of thing ( http://www.auton.com/category_page_lift.asp?ID=1 ) but I can imagine what their electricaly operated lifts will cost! I'm looking for ideas to build some kind of a lift, maybe useing drawer slides or such that will allow me to build a manual lift for a small lcd TV. Looking for any ideas I can use.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-08, 11:31 AM
S
Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
I'm looking to build in a small flatscreen TV into a wall below a counter separating our living room & Kitchen, where my wife doesn't want to see the TV unless we're watching it. When not in use, have it descend back down & the top become part of the wooden countertop. I have sent away to a company specializing in this type of thing ( http://www.auton.com/category_page_lift.asp?ID=1 ) but I can imagine what their electricaly operated lifts will cost! I'm looking for ideas to build some kind of a lift, maybe useing drawer slides or such that will allow me to build a manual lift for a small lcd TV. Looking for any ideas I can use.
how deep is the wall that you are building this into?

the electric lift will be much cooler and give your guests the WOW effect - anything mechanical you;ll need to make sure it clicks into place so it doesn't fall back down

with that said - you could hinge the countertop and then use either piston arms like the ones for car hatchbacks to help- lift the tv up.

another option are those bracket arms used in coffetables to lift the top closer to the person at the sofa

Old 03-09-08, 03:14 PM
J
I would tend to agree. Anything you design yourself, unless you are a mechanical engineer, will not have the bugs worked out for some time. Go with a more expensive, but already debugged design.

Old 12-10-08, 07:04 AM
C
I made one work, and it was not to complicated, you can too, especially if you are working with a smaller TV. I had a 32". My design used a window motor out of a car to do all the work, I couldn't figure out (cheaply) how to integrate a remote control yet so I have the 2 pole toggle switch from the car. It is pretty simple; I made 2 aluminum tracks that telescope and used a pulley system with the motor and a cable. Very simple, and most window motors already have a torque limiting switch inside of them, so as long as you place some sort of secure stop where you want to limit the travel of the unit, you will be good. The only bad part is that it runs off of 12V power so you need a power supply, but I had all of this stuff laying around (I come from an automotive background) and I maybe put $50 into it (random trips to the hardware store). So yes it can be done, all it takes is a little bit of out of the box thinking, but I saved at least $450. Very easy decision.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 12-10-08 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Unnecessary remark