how do i determine screw gauge

Old 03-14-08, 08:36 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry how do i determine screw gauge

I am in the proces of organizing about 1000 screws,nuts,bolts and nails I got from my grandfathers garage (fun right) I would like to seperate the screws by length,thred count,head type and gauge the only thing is I do not know how to determine the gauge my best gues is to use a caliper but I dont think that will tell me anything helpfull please clue me in on how to find the gauge

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-08, 02:36 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There's a good reason these were unsorted. Divide the collection by all things likely, you'll be lucky to find a dozen same items. Then what?

If you really want to:

This set of thread checkers and diameters should identify most bolts. Then use the known bolts to find their mating nuts.

A more useful endeavor, I think, would be to let this assortment gather dust until you have a need for something, and buy a box of it. Then rummage for pieces matching the proven useful hardware on hand.

Old 03-15-08, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
You pretty much need a known thread count and gauge as Kobuchi has said.

I have a very large collection of all types of fasteners and find it much more convenient to keep them in bins of matching and similar gauge but differing lengths.
As an example I would likely have 500-600, 1/4"-20 (1/4" NC) hex head bolts organized in three bins...... short-med-long.
Wood screws as well are sorted this way and then I just take the time to dig through and match lengths for a specific project.

Old 03-15-08, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
SbyS's

Trying to sort all that, (they way you specified) will drive you (and yer other half, if there is one) crazy.

I've found if I just get them semi organized, I'm pretty happy.

First do machine screws vs bolts vs wood screws vs sheetmetal screws. Once you have it in those categories (or however many you like), you can sub-divide 'em down by size and length one type at a time, if you like.

Use coffee cans or other suitable container initially, then go to smaller and smaller as you break 'em down. The inexpensive throw-away (who does that anyway?) tupper-ware type containers from the discount stores (big-lots, general dollar) make it pretty easy to label and stack.