Noisy Stairs to Basement

Old 03-18-08, 06:58 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Noisy Stairs to Basement

Hey all we just moved into our new to us home and I have noticed that the stairs leading to the basement are very loud and basey (spelling) when going up and down. They don't squeak but it's a semi and we have neighbors who I'm sure don't appreciate the loud up and down the stairs movment. I was wondering if there is a way to quiet the stairs to make them produce less of a bass sound? It's almost like a sub woofer when I'm going up and down. I have full access underneath the staircase and any info would be greatly appreciated.

PS. not sure if this is in the right category or not.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-08, 05:41 PM
C
I assume that you mean that the stair make a noise in the fashion of beating a drum when you walk on them. One idea is to staple some batt insulation to the underside to dampen sound transmission.

Old 03-19-08, 07:23 PM
B
Cheap carpeting would also help.

Old 04-30-08, 07:46 AM
Y
This is a month or so later, but hopefully still helps:

My basement stairs did the same thing, but only the bottom half (U shaped stairs). I had my wife walk onto and off of the landing, and noticed that it moved up and down by about 1/4". This movement made the whole unit act like a giant subwoofer.

Looked underneath, and saw that the support was quickly and shoddily built -- only three of four corners were supported, and one of those very poorly. I built up a support for the unsupported corner, and added shims to the poorly supported corner, and the stairs are now solid and quiet (for being uncarpeted).