Deck Chairs: Cedar vs Redwood vs Spruce, etc

Old 03-24-08, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck Chairs: Cedar vs Redwood vs Spruce, etc

I'm building adirondack deck chairs and trying to decide to wood to use. I have built these chairs before and have always used cedar, which has worked out nice. However, it's getting harder and harder to find cedar that's smooth on 4 sides in 1x6 and 1x4. Plus, it's getting expensive. I thought about using redwood or spruce. Any opinions on the different type of woods? The chairs will be exposed to the weather in the midatlantic region so I want them to withstand rot. In the past I have painted some and stained others, but I'm not sure with these which I will do. Any thougths you have on the durability, ease of working with, appearance, etc. of redwood, spruce or any othe appropriate material for these deck chairs would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-08, 04:45 PM
Smile adirondack chairs

i think cyprus would be the best but it too will probably be expensive. redwood would be my next choice with cedar(western or eastern) next. i really don't think the eastern cedar looks as good! pressure treated pine is ok but won't last as long or look as good. redwood would probably be best considering cost/ease of working/durability.

Old 03-24-08, 10:42 PM
I don't know if you've priced Redwood lately, but it can get expensive. It is very beautiful, and moisture tolerant, though, and worth it in my opinion. Western Cedar would be my next choice.