DIY walnut/tile trivet plate help.

Old 03-28-08, 02:05 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DIY walnut/tile trivet plate help.

Good afternoon:

I want to make some "Trivets" for gifts. I want to make them with some kind of tile in the middle and walnut on the outside. My plan is to raise the tile up by about 1/4" above the walnut trim, so a hot pan will not burn the wood. My questions are:
1. Will this allow enough room from the tile so the wood does not get burned?
2. If I use 4" tile, how would I do the grout? and not screw up the walnut?
3. If I use bigger tile, and cut to size do I need to do anything around the boarder where the tile meets the wood?

Ok, that is it, any and all suggestions are welcomed and if you have any new or different ideas on how to build and what materials to use, please let me know.
Thanks and take care

Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-08, 02:34 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Danno30008 View Post
1. Will this allow enough room from the tile so the wood does not get burned?
I think it's more a problem of the finish on the wood getting discoloured by heat. I suppose some kind of oil would be best but can't really answer that.

How wide the air gap is between wood/finish and pot bottom is inconsequential. A 1/16" gap won't be much different than 3/4". The main thing is that there be some air gap.

I think these will go together and look a lot nicer if you aim for <1/8" gap.
2. If I use 4" tile, how would I do the grout? and not screw up the walnut?
I suggest spacing these tiles fairly close and using appropriately coloured silicone not grout. You aren't paying for a wall of tiles here. Silicone can withstand high temperature, it'll never crack or admit moisture, and it'll kinda glue everything together.
3. If I use bigger tile, and cut to size do I need to do anything around the boarder where the tile meets the wood?
Clear silicone.

BTW, silicone residue in the wood will totally mess up a stain or finish application, so do the silicone last.