I know what I want, how to figure cost

Old 03-31-08, 09:53 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I know what I want, how to figure cost

Plain and simple project (I hope):

Two "box" end tables, 23x27x21 with lift top (on hinge) and one coffee table, 24x48x21, with lift top. "In my head" plans are to make them from plywood and cover them with laminate using 1x2's for edges/trim.

Found free plans for coffee table (similiar) but nothing for end tables to match.

I want to have all supplies purchased and ready for upcoming weekend "honey do" list without having to run back to store.

Anyone here willing to tell me how much of what I need to purchase?

Thanks, Kathy

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-08, 02:46 PM
W
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Tables

You did not elaborate on how these tables will be constructed. Are all 3 simple boxes with 4 sides, a top, and a bottom?

Old 03-31-08, 03:28 PM
J
Quick guess is 1-2 sheets of plywood. Use a multiply(5+) cabinet grade plywood. If you are painting, use a birch or similar ply, for natural/stain use oak or better. As suggested above you need to supply more info, 2 sheets should do the job if you are careful about how you lay out the job. Plywood is usually stonger in its length that its width, so consider that when laying out your project.

Old 03-31-08, 03:28 PM
K
Sometimes it is better to decide on the materials, first, then figure out what you can make with that.

For example, a 4'x8' sheet of plywood may be "3/4 inch" but in fact slightly thinner. And you can't really get a bunch of 24"x48" pieces from this.

Draw a sheet of plywood. Then puzzle that into furniture parts, allowing for blade width and trimming bad edges.

If you're going to stain this, then bring the cutting diagram to the store, and select a sheet with imperfections only where they don't matter.

Old 04-01-08, 04:43 AM
W
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Materials

Do a parts list layout with dimensions on a 4 in. x 8 in drawing. I think you will find that you need (3) 4x8 sheets of plywood to get six pieces per table for 3 tables..

Old 04-01-08, 05:54 AM
K
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
Quick guess is 1-2 sheets of plywood. Use a multiply(5+) cabinet grade plywood. If you are painting, use a birch or similar ply, for natural/stain use oak or better. As suggested above you need to supply more info, 2 sheets should do the job if you are careful about how you lay out the job. Plywood is usually stonger in its length that its width, so consider that when laying out your project.

For example, a 4'x8' sheet of plywood may be "3/4 inch" but in fact slightly thinner. And you can't really get a bunch of 24"x48" pieces from this.

Exactly what I needed to know/ask. These will be simple box construction of four sides, top and bottom. The corners, top edge and bottom edge will be covered with 1x2 trim.

I spent time yesterday with diagram at box store, wandering around looking for help before getting disgusted at lack of service and left.

I figured "ballpark estimate": 1x2 trim, 8ft long: 14 pieces
----48" each corner x 12
---- top/bottom trim on sides, 23+23+23+23+27+27+27+27 (x 2 end tables) and 24+24+24+24+48+48+48+48 (coffee table)
---haven't figured plywood yet, going to make puzzle pieces and work it out (great suggestion)

$30 will get 1x2's
$60 will get 2 sheets plywood

Now, if this will work and not look "cheesy", I'd like to cover them with decorative laminate flooring. Found a seagrass textured design I really like, they'd wipe clean (have kids/pets) and be durable. If it did "chip" when cut to size, the 1x2 trim will cover the edges. Need to find out size of planks and how many per box to estimate cost. Will use "puzzle method" to do that today.

Appreciate the assistance. I just can't justify >$400 for ready made if we can do it for <$200 and a day's work and actually get what "I want".

kjh