Recommendations for protecting wood

Old 04-18-08, 07:11 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recommendations for protecting wood

I have acquired *free* 5 sheets of solid cherry from co-workers spouse who works for a furniture making company.

24"x54"x1", have plans to make a trunk style coffee table with lift top lid (instead of using plywood and covering it as in previous post). Hubby said it will take 3 men to move it so I have to quit rearranging the LR.

BIL has a tablesaw, will I need a new/special blade to cut cherry?

Never owned anything solid wood, just veneer.

Want it to last forever, not sure what to use to protect it once it's completed. I know everyone has their own preferences about brands/quality/etc. but I don't want to buy cheap stuff and not get a good result. Have a Lowes in town and several locally owned hardware stores.

Clear polyurethane?

kjh

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-08, 04:03 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Solid wood has a tendancy to dry out and crack, split, warp, and it needs to be properly dried and stored. You have likely seen old doors or furniture with a wide piece of solid wood that has cracked. To combat this problem, you cut pieces into narrower lengths(2-3") and glue them together to get the width you need, with each boards grain running opposite to the previous one. An other secret to fine, long lasting furniture is jointing techniques. Some are easy, some take lots of practice to get right. Pick up a book on the subject.