Pressure treated lumber questions

Old 04-21-08, 12:49 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pressure treated lumber questions

Good afternoon:

I am going to build some simple flower planters for the front porch and have a few questions abot working with pressure treated wood. The main one being should I wear a dust mask when sanding? I read someplace that the dust from PTL is harmful to us/me if inhaled..

The other question is can I put a protective finish on it after sanding?

I did this when I lived in Chicago and it looked great! The light green color really came out good when we applied several coats of poly. I tried it again a few years ago and I live in Atlanta, and the results were not soo good.. After about 6 months, all the finish started to peal off and then turned yellow. I sanded the heck out of the wood and it came out like crap.
Anyway, can you put a finish over pressure treated lumber that is available today and if so what prouct and how many coats?

Thanks and take care
Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-08, 01:10 PM
T
Yes to the dust mask... you don't want to be sucking in those chemicals while you work...

Finishing PT lumber can be hit or miss.. the biggest problem with PT wood is that it tends to be really "green" (wet) when you purchase it. If you're able to let it dry before you use it - or pick out the wood yourself, searching for the lightweight ones - you'll stand a better chance of your sealer staying put.

Old 04-21-08, 01:31 PM
W
I always wear a dust mask when sanding. It doesn't matter what wood I'm working with. I figure any dust I inhale can't do my lungs much good.

There are different types of PT wood. Some is rated for ground contact/immersion and some for just outside exposure. A lot of the stuff at the big boxes is so wet from the treating process that the stuff weighs a ton. The problem is that you can't just let the stuff hang out for a few months to dry because it will could up looking like a pile of spaghetti "noodles"

My suggestion is to build your planters with the dryest PT you can find and then let it dry for 3-4 months minimum before applying a finish.

Old 04-21-08, 02:06 PM
D
THANKS!

Yea, this stuff is so wet the 2 x 10 x 8's were a ba** buster!

I am going to let all the wood dry in my carport for about a week and then get going on the project.

Probably will not finish because once they are filled with dirt and plants, I don't want to take the dirt out and all that mess.

Will go to Lowes and get a few dust mask's.

Thanks again and take care

Dan

Old 04-26-08, 05:28 AM
L
wet PT Lumber

If this were my project and I had some 2x PT that weighs a "ton" I would cut up the lumber and assemble the project first, then set it aside to dry out. By just setting the lumber aside to let it dry out you will run a greater risk of the lumber warping-twisting-corkscrewing as it drys because this stuff is usually so wet that no matter how carefully you stack it the lumber just doesn't have a chance to dry evenly.
Larry

Old 04-26-08, 08:43 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
It's been our experience, where we are usually using PT to repair a deck, that the best results are achieved by using the wood right away. Let it dry first and it twists up so much that it's difficult if not impossible to use.

Old 11-10-08, 04:07 PM
A
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Pressure treated wood

Originally Posted by Danno30008 View Post
Good afternoon:

I am going to build some simple flower planters for the front porch and have a few questions abot working with pressure treated wood. The main one being should I wear a dust mask when sanding? I read someplace that the dust from PTL is harmful to us/me if inhaled..

The other question is can I put a protective finish on it after sanding?

I did this when I lived in Chicago and it looked great! The light green color really came out good when we applied several coats of poly. I tried it again a few years ago and I live in Atlanta, and the results were not soo good.. After about 6 months, all the finish started to peal off and then turned yellow. I sanded the heck out of the wood and it came out like crap.
Anyway, can you put a finish over pressure treated lumber that is available today and if so what prouct and how many coats?

Thanks and take care
Dan
I know this is a little old, but absolutely you should wear a dust mask. CCA and other arsenic-based chemicals were used for over 70 years to treat lumber. In 2004, these chemicals were banned from the consumer market, but existing wood may contain arsenic, which is a known carcinogen. The thing to do would be test the wood for arsenic. Visit NoAds.com

Last edited by Shadeladie; 11-10-08 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Advertising link removed