Counterweight Questions (Catapult)

Old 04-28-08, 06:31 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Counterweight Questions (Catapult)

Hey, I realize this might not be a completely appropriate place for a catapult questions, but please bear with me.

I have built a catapult built like this:

Someone I know is saying that this is a counterweight:

I don't completely agree, because what this person says is that anything that "the hurling arm of the catapult must be attached at its base to the catapult's base, because if it is attached at any point other than the base, i.e above the base, it then has a counterweight and is no longer a catapult"

I'm pretty sure that since the bungee cord is part of the hurling arm that it is still attached at the base, and is not a counterweight.

Do you agree with me: Person A, or Person B (who thinks it is a counterweight)

-Thanks,
SmityPanda

EDIT: I just wanted to remind you that you pull down on the catapult's arm on the side that has the cup in order to fire it.

Last edited by smitypanda; 04-28-08 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Further Explanation
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-08, 07:17 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
your friend is correct

I do not know the proper technical terms for the parts of the machine so bare with me on that.

what you have is not a catapult. It is a trebuchet, although a poorly designed one as the throwing arm and the pulling lever (the part you are asking about) are reversed in size from what they should be.

a catapult does not have this pulling lever but merely pivots at the base of the throwing arm.

a trebuchet generally uses a rope on the end of the hurling arm to increase length of the hurling arm and therefore providing a greater throwing distance.

Old 04-28-08, 07:17 PM
some medival catpults had counterweights.woops I had forgotton about them I am wrong

Last edited by Speedwrench; 04-28-08 at 07:19 PM. Reason: new post correcting me.
Old 04-29-08, 01:21 PM
S
What I'm really wondering is if the piece that I drew the red box around really is a counterweight. It doesn't matter if the catapult is a trebuchet or not, only if the piece is a counterweight.

Old 04-29-08, 01:27 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I guess this school question is just to tough for me. Sorry.