hardwoods groove to groove?

Old 05-09-08, 08:35 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hardwoods groove to groove?

I am installing hardwoods in bedrooms that match the existing hardwood leading to them in the hallway.

Problem is, I have the groove side of the existing wood to match to in the doorways.

how do i match it up in this critical area so I can use the nailer on the tongues?

Should I install a piece groove to groove and face nail it so I can match the pattern throughout the room?

thanks, bb

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-08, 09:24 AM
L
Originally Posted by bbard View Post
I am installing hardwoods in bedrooms that match the existing hardwood leading to them in the hallway.

Problem is, I have the groove side of the existing wood to match to in the doorways.

how do i match it up in this critical area so I can use the nailer on the tongues?

Should I install a piece groove to groove and face nail it so I can match the pattern throughout the room?

thanks, bb

you can buy strips to mate groove to groove.

im confused though, why would you use the tongue as the nailing point? you are supposed to nail onto the groove side, to prevent splitting the tongue. isnt the flooring nail gun even made to fit into the grooves?

Old 05-09-08, 12:08 PM
B
no, the nails go just above the tongue at an angle.

I am leaning toward putting them groove to groove, gluing down, and putting a couple nails in the face, pre-drilled and putty to conceal unless I get some better advice.

Old 05-09-08, 12:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Whenever you change directions, you will need to purchase splines that fit into the groove, thereby making it a tongue, then start installing your flooring "backwards" in the new direction. And, yes, the staples go in the tongue side.