Staining paneling

Old 05-15-08, 08:23 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Staining paneling

I recently bought a home and the paneling in one of the rooms that receives direct sunlight has faded over time. Can I restain this paneling with a darker color stain to level out the color?

Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-08, 09:20 AM
Strictly speaking, stains are made to go on raw wood. You may be able to blend the faded portion in with a glaze.

Check with a good paint store - Ben Moore, Sherwin Williams, etc. They will have (or have available) the expertise to guide you in this project.

Old 05-15-08, 11:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
What type of paneling is it? how thick? solid wood or thin veneer?

You might be able to sand and then apply a coat of tinted poly like minwax's polyshades. This will work better if the fading is gradual, not like where a pic was hung and there is almost a line drawn between the 2 colors.

Old 05-15-08, 11:30 AM
C
RE: Re-stain paneling

Hello,

Thank you for the quick response. I can still find this paneling at places a like home depot. It is a very thin pine I believe. The previous owner apparently purchased this paneling ready to hang but was not completely happy with the color. He then stained it.

I found this out when I recently pulled the baseboards for lay new floors. So I thought I could apply a darker colored minwax stain to blend in....

Any thoughts?

Old 05-15-08, 11:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
Assuming this is a thin veneer paneling, you can't sand it much but a scuff sand always helps the next coat to adhere.

You can't really apply a stain to a finished wood. It won't be obsorbed or dry well. Use minwax polyshades to make the paneling darker. Because this is a clear with color added you need to use care with application. Lap marks will have double the color, runs will also be a lot darker......... but applied neatly it will do a good job of altering the color.