Miter-novice question on making straight cuts

Old 05-23-08, 12:55 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Miter-novice question on making straight cuts

In the past I have always used a circular saw for cutting miters (on the few occasions where I needed to do it). I recently got a miter saw, and I am now on the learning curve.

When I make a non-mitered cut, the cut seems to be non-beveled. When I make a 45 degree cut, however, there seems to be a slight bevel as the cut "flares" as it moves away from the saw. In otherwords, the thickness of the cut is greater the closer it gets to me as it sits on the table. Does this indicate that the bevel gauge is not correct, and that the blade is actually a little tilted, or is it some problem with the blade setting itself?

Thanks!
~john

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-08, 04:36 PM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Cut

The wood has a tendency to slide sideways on the saw table because the blade is pulling perpendicular to the fence when making mitred cuts. Make sure you hold the workpiece firmly while cutting so that it does not move.

Old 05-23-08, 05:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Ken's right on that. It happens all the time if you don't watch it. One way to prevent that is to stand your molding up and cut it vertically rather than laying it down. I know on some of the taller stuff you can't, but normal molding would benefit by doing this.