Changing Circular Saw Blade - Not!

Old 05-31-08, 01:37 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Changing Circular Saw Blade - Not!

I've used my circular saw for some time and have never changed the blade. Now that I'm finally trying to do it, I can't - for the life of me - get the blade off. I follow the instructions to immobilize the blade - but the bolt just won't come loose!!!

Does anyone have a tip for me?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-08, 01:46 PM
W
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Blade

Different saws have different ways to hold the blade while you loosen the nut. Porter Cable has a push-in locking pin which locks the motor. In the past I have used a screw driver wedged into the teeth of the blade. I have also used pliers to hold the blade. If you try the last two, wear gloves!

What brand is your saw? Does it have a locking pin?

Old 05-31-08, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Make sure you are trying to turn the bolt the right way. Is it a left hand thread? If the blade is locked with the blade lock or by putting the screwdriver or allen thru the hole, it should come loose.

Old 05-31-08, 02:11 PM
M
It's a Skil Classic Saw. No locking pin. The blade moving is not a problem - turning the bolt is.

Old 05-31-08, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator
Skil classic? The gold housing? With the thumb operated blade guard? Man I love that saw! why don't more have the thumb operated guard?

Well, just checked mine, so its a RH thread. Jeez, don't know what else to suggest. Using the supplied wrench mine came right off. Just tried it to be sure.

Musta been way over tightened when they sent it out.

All I can suggest is put a screwdriver or allen so it traps the blade from moving and use a 6 point socket on the bolt.

Old 06-01-08, 03:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Clamp a vice grip on the blade very tightly, or place the blade in a sturdy vice and use it as a fulcrum. Use a 6 pointed socket on the bolt, that is if you haven't already boogered it up too much.

Old 06-03-08, 11:44 AM
M
yep - gold housing and saw. i love(d) it too - but had to replace it. it just wouldn't budge. thanks to all for trying.

Old 06-03-08, 01:33 PM
C
Received 96 Votes on 75 Posts
You replaced the saw because of a seized bolt? I think I would have drilled it out first. OTOH probably as good an excuse as any to buy a new tool.
I've never seen a blade bolt that couldn't be loosened. Did you try a little mechanical advantage like a wrench extension?

Old 06-03-08, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator
msk...hope you come back to the thread. Don't throw it away!! I don't think they even have some parts for it anymore. I'd take it off yer hands if you'd ship it.

Old 06-04-08, 03:53 AM
J
Not sure if you missed the above statement, it is a left hand thread, turn CW to remove. Not righty tighty, these are righty, loosy.