removing a single built in cabinet?

Old 07-01-08, 09:28 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
removing a single built in cabinet?

Hello!
I'm new to this site and to home ownership. My husband and I just bought a beautiful little 1946 bungalow. Like many houses built at this time, it has a kitchen and dining room that are separated by a non-structural wall.
Here's a link to my website with general photos.

We will be removing the wall that the refrigerator is on. You can see the fridge and cabinets here.

The cabinets on the north wall are built into the wall, not freestanding like cabinets now. When we take down the wall, the fridge will need to be moved. There is no free wall for it to move to unless I want to tear out the built-in the previous owner had made. (You can see it on the website if you want)

Suffice it to say, we have to put the fridge on the north wall. The only way I see doing this is to remove the left-most cabinets on the top and bottom and remove a section of the counter.

As they are built in, the cabinets will be open on the sides when we take down the wall anyway.

My question is, how am I supposed to take out just one cabinet? My father has a lot of woodworking tools, but I'm not sure exactly how to go about removing the cabinets I want out and finishing the open sides.

Any suggestions? Like I said, I'm a total noob, but I think this is something we could totally do. A contractor wanted 5k to do it, and I just can't stomach that.

Any help is appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-08, 03:03 PM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Cutting Cabinet

The cuts should be made near the edge of a door, leaving the face frame. Some light framing may need to be added to close the end of the cabinet. Good luck with your project.

Old 07-16-08, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile

Looks like a really nice house. Congratulations!

Looks like the fridge is wider than the one cabinet door on top but less than the two. The two bottom doors look smaller than the top. You may, is seems, get into the drawer section if you make it wide enough for the fridge.

You need to make a LOT of measurements before cutting. If the cabinets are built in, the two top cabinets on the left may be one unit sharing the same backing, or they may be two separate cabinets. See if there is a dividing line between the stiles between the cabinets. If so, they are two separate units. Looks like this may require some cabinet re-make.

The cabinets should not be open on the ends. They should have an end piece. Is there drywall/plaster inside the cabinets on the ends?

Good Luck!
Measure twice;cut once!