PL-400 on ABS plastic?

Old 07-11-08, 10:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PL-400 on ABS plastic?

This might be a little OT on this forum, but I figure you guys know your glues:

I'm curious if anyone has any experience using PL-400 on high-impact ABS plastic. I'm putting an access panel into some drywall ( link ), and all I've got on hand is PL-400 and some wood glue (Titebond Liquid Hide Wood Glue). Ordinarily I'd probably opt for PL-300, but I'm out at the moment. Any thouights here? I know 400 will eat things like foam board, but I've never heard one way or the other on plastics ..

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-08, 03:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
The access panel you refer to will come with attachment means for a sheetrock install, so using glue wouldn't be necessary. I don't think using PL400 would be a good idea, as you state, it will eat up plastics. Since you want to make a one time install, I would opt for a good adhesive meant for plastics, even if it meant a trip to the store.

Old 07-12-08, 07:31 AM
Actually, the panel comes with instructions to glue it into place, using "construction adhesive". I could drill some holes and frame it out, I guess.. that'd be better. I just saw "construction adhesive", and I thought of PL-400. But I guess if you know that it eats plastic, then I better not.

Old 07-12-08, 06:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Oh, OK, I was thinking you had a panel with an accessory behind the wall it attached to. Yes, then a good polystyrene friendly adhesive would be the order of the day.

Old 07-12-08, 08:38 PM
I have used PL200 on similar situations with no defects to the plastic. You may consider using a 2 part epoxy as well - just a bead of the fast setting stuff that comes in a hypodermic looking dispenser (you'll still need to mix it) , but the 200 should be fine.

Here's a link to a website that has advice on what type of adhesive to use to adhere one surface to another.The products mentioned are probably sponsors of the website, so there can be substitutions for the products suggested.

http://www.thistothat.com/

As always, if you are aprehensive about the effects using any adhesive. Try a small dab in an inconpicuous area that will not be exposed when mounted - to see if there are any before it's too late.

Old 07-14-08, 07:24 AM
Thanks all - for anyone who might encounter this in the future, I ended up using a tube of PL Premium that I was saving for another project. It's labeled as plastic friendly, has an extremely strong bond, etc. I did look at that thistothat site, but it wasn't overly helpful in my case. I could have saved a few bucks using 200 or 300, but I was a bit short on time, and the Premium is safe for plastics.

Thanks again!