Do I need a clearcoat over paint?

Old 07-13-08, 07:33 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do I need a clearcoat over paint?

I just finished building a toddler bed for my little girl out of MDF. I've already applied a coat of tinted primer, and I'm planning on two coats of latex paint and then applying some wall applique stickers. Is a coat or two of clear coat (poly or salad bowel finish) necessary? I thought it might help protect the paint, but it might be overkill.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-08, 09:37 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
You could put a couple coats of water based poly over the paint, but, yes, that would be overkill.

Old 07-14-08, 05:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
Is your latex paint a flat or an enamel?

Enamels are formulated for wear and don't need an additional coat of protection although a coat or two of waterbased poly may help to protect the stickers.

Old 07-14-08, 08:16 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input.

From what i hear you saying, if I choose a clear coat, it should be water based, not oil based poly.

The paint sheen is satin.

Also, do you usually sand between coats of paint?

Thanks.

Old 07-14-08, 04:20 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
It is always a good idea to sand between coats - it both helps with adhesion and promotes a smoother finish; eliminates or reduces brush/roller marks and removes any grit in/on the coating.

Since you've been using latex, it makes sense to stick with a water base. Oil base poly does dry to a harder film = wears longer but it will alter/yellow the color underneath it. It will also amber as it ages. Waterbased poly dries clear and shouldn't yellow/amber any as it ages.

Satin enamel doesn't usually need any further protection but if you decide to poly - don't sand the enamel as the poly may not hide the sanding scratches.