Acetone spill on my table

Old 07-18-08, 01:12 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Acetone spill on my table

Our dog knocked over a bottle of airfresener oil which I assume contained something like acetone. Lon story short it cut all the way through the lacquer and down to the bare wood. What is the best approach to fix this and get my table looking normal again? Also what is the best way to only refinish the top of the table and not affect or damage any other parts?

Thanks.

Old 07-18-08, 01:59 PM
S
Look for a product called "Restor-A-Finish" which is a rub on finish restoring product.Comes in a variety of shades and is sold at many hardware and home improvement stores.There is no quick fix here and beyond a product like this would be refinishing at least the top of the table completely.

Old 07-18-08, 02:08 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
The stain is ok, it just ruined the topcoat? I'm not an expert, but I know that lacquer dissolves itself when you spray on a new coat, so someone with experience might be able to fix the damaged area without having to refinish the whole top.

Old 07-19-08, 05:47 AM
Mitch is right - if the stain has not been cut the top can be repaired without stripping it entirely.

This approach requires a professional.

The other alternative for DIY is to strip the top and refinish.

Old 07-26-08, 06:58 AM
T
Acetone on Table

Thanks for all the help! I have gone ahead and stripped the top of the table with a liquid remover.

My question now is that when I stripped the table the finish is a little spotty, which I expected but I can still see the area where the acetone was spilled rather clearly. Will this all become uniform when I apply the stain or do I need to sand it down or something? Also if I leave the stain on those areas longer will it match it better?

Thanks again for all the help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: