Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Carpentry, Cabinetry and Interior Woodworking
Reload this Page >

old varnish on my doors and staircasing has started smelling please help?

old varnish on my doors and staircasing has started smelling please help?

Old 08-03-08, 09:13 AM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy old varnish on my doors and staircasing has started smelling please help?

Can anyone shed some light on my problem?

I have recently moved into my father in laws house and all my interior doors and the staircasing and stairposts have all started smelling! They really smell like urine! I have tried to sand some of them back to see if the smell would go but it hasn't. I have tried to cover up the ball at the end of the staircase with a bag and sellotape (loads of it) and it is even coming through this!

I want to decorated my hallway and stairs and am really concerned about what to do, I have an original minton floor which is in perfect condition so I don't want to take the post out and replace it due to fear of damaging it.

It has all been done in the same varnish over 15 years ago and re touched up about 8 years ago.

Does anyone know what the possible cause of the smell be? and how I remedy it?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-08, 12:09 PM
Low grade urea-formaldehyde resin can cause off gassing.
If you're certain that the odor is caused by the varnish, and not by an animal, stripping (or replacement) is the cure. It's a lot of work, and expense! Replacement will look attractive.

Old 08-03-08, 02:59 PM
X
It's definately not caused by an animal as it's too high almost all over on all the doors and most of the staircase, I have tried sanding part of the staircase back and it hasn't worked, I was hoping for some miracle cure? (stupid I know)

I am stripping all the old varnish off it all anyway, I just don't want to go to all that trouble to find it still smells.

Old 08-04-08, 03:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 297 Votes on 263 Posts
If the odor is indeed coming from the wood or wood finish, a fresh coat of oil base poly/varnish [or oil primer if you intend to paint] should lock the odor in.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 08-04-08, 06:55 AM
X

Thanks for your help!