Jig Saw Drill Bit?

Old 08-04-08, 10:48 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Jig Saw Drill Bit?

I am a new diy-er, and am in need of some advice. I have a very small job that I think a jig saw would be appropriate for, but do not have a jig saw. After some research, it looks like there are things called "saw bits" that will turn a drill into a makeshift jigsaw:

http://doitbest.com/Drill+Bits-Best+...sku-396931.dib

Do these things work? And if so, why are they so hard to find?

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-08, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Well, they do work, and they aren't hard to find, I've seen them at all the box stores and I think even WallyWorld.

They don't do a nice smooth line very easily due to the roatation of the bit, but for rough openings in some materials, it'll do the job.

Since you say yer a newbie, why not explain the job yer trying to do. There could be a very simple and cheap solution.

Old 08-04-08, 11:08 AM
I have used them and they are very difficult to control

I do carry one but use it only to slightly enlarge existing holes

depending on what you are cutting something like this jab saw would be a better choice

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-20-556.../dp/B00005QVQH

Old 08-04-08, 11:14 AM
D
Thanks for the info guys. I am trying to cut out notches and larger circular holes in 3/4" mdf and similar material. I have a decent drill, but can not see investing the money in a jig saw. And rough cuts are fine, so I think this may be an answer (but let me know if you think otherwise ... I'm always looking to learn!)

Thanks again!

Old 08-04-08, 11:33 AM
S
You do realize that a decent household grade jig saw is only around 30 bucks right?

I have sold the bits mentioned and if you go that route I'd experiment and get the feel of them before using for your job.they can be difficult to control.Also most of these are imported and can be of lesser quality and therefore might wear down on you fairly fast.

The only version of this tool I've ever seen that was really good was Roto-Zip which is a power tool and associated specific bits...obviously priced much higher than a bit alone.

Old 08-04-08, 11:38 AM
You do realize that a decent household grade jig saw is only around 30 bucks right?
good point I have B&D I bought at a pawnshop for $10.00 when I needed one in a hurry once . I still use it for rough cuts

If theres a harbor freight nearby you can probably find a new one 10-15

Old 08-04-08, 04:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Just in case you still want to do the drill bit thing, remember to move your drill and bit in a clockwise motion (with the drill in forward) and keep a firm grip on the handle. This way, the bit is cutting into new wood with each movement, rather than using your rotation as part of the cut. Just works better.

Old 08-05-08, 05:18 AM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Holes

What size holes? A hole saw may be the answer if the holes are all the same size. Just another possibility.

Old 08-05-08, 09:04 AM
S
Originally Posted by mango man View Post
good point I have B&D I bought at a pawnshop for $10.00 when I needed one in a hurry once . I still use it for rough cuts

If theres a harbor freight nearby you can probably find a new one 10-15
Just make sure you do not buy a no name imported saw (or any other power tool) as these are very low quality and have a high failure rate.These are sold under a wide variety of names but none you've ever heard of.

Old 08-05-08, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by spdavid View Post
Just make sure you do not buy a no name imported saw (or any other power tool) as these are very low quality and have a high failure rate.These are sold under a wide variety of names but none you've ever heard of.
not necessarily , I have some harbor freight and other "no name" that Ive gotten more than my moneys worth out of