re-building interior stairs

Old 08-12-08, 07:35 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
re-building interior stairs

I'm helping convert a old city home from a boarding house back to a 2 family and need to rebuild a staircase that was partially torn out. The old stairs were made from oak but that would be to costly and would like some cheaper alternatives. They will be stained and have a carpet runner down the middle, Wondering what size lumber is necessary for the different componets The stairs are bordered by two walls so just a hand railing is necessary The dimensions are 36" wide. Approximately 8 steps ( treads are 10") and risers 7 3/4 . Can I use 1x pine or poplar for stringers and risers ( I will be routing out the stringers to accept the treads and risers) I'm thinking maybe I'd need 5/4 for the treads but didn't know for sure. Would appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-08, 08:19 AM
C
you are better off to replace the stair framing with 2x material then you can go over top with 3/4in. material after for a nicer finish to stain just make sure to accomadate for the extra lumber in thickness for rise and run

Old 08-12-08, 01:42 PM
B
You can use pine for the treads, risers and stringers if you want. I would use 5/4 for the treads and stringer and 3/4 for the risers. I'm not sure from your post why there would be any need to change the framing. You may find that the Oak treads are not all that costly. Stained treads and painted riser and stringer looks very nice.

Old 08-14-08, 12:12 PM
W
I have priced out the 5/4 pine and it isn't cheap but I'm trying stay with the rest of the woodwork in the house so painting the stringers really wouldn't match Everything else including the other staircases are stained . I wasn't planning on changing the framing ..... no need to ... just wanted the stairs to be structually sound and look have way decent .Thought about using planed down 2x for the stringers and the 5/4 for the treads but I'm not sure how that would look. They would save me quite a bit of $. 5/4 is 7.00 a board ft. If this were my only project I'd just go for it but there's lots of other stuff to do. Thanks for your imput

Old 08-14-08, 06:55 PM
B
With only 8 steps to do I think I would bite the bullet and use pre-made Oak treads and risers from your local Home Depot or Lowes. I agree that since the rest of the house has stained trim the traditional look of painted risers may look odd.