hardwood cabinet grade vs oak veneered plywood

Old 08-17-08, 11:02 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hardwood cabinet grade vs oak veneered plywood

I am building a cabinet for our guest room. While researching plywoods to build it out off, I have seen a cabinet grade and an oak veneered. The latter is about 3 times more expensive. The wood will be stained cherry when finished. Should I go with the oak veneered or the cabinet grade and what is the difference?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-08, 03:26 PM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Plywood

The difference is the kind of wood in the finish layer. Think about how the stain will look. Then decide.

Old 08-18-08, 04:09 AM
J
Cabinet grade refers to the number of layers in the plywood. Standard plywood may have 3-5 layers, cabinet grade will have many more. This makes it more stable, less prone to warp, stays flatter. The finished surface can change the cost of plywood considerably, but is available in almost any type wood you like.

Old 08-19-08, 04:22 PM
P
maybe you could help then

I am building a bed for our spare room. My problem? I'm not sure what wood to build it out of. Ideally, it would be a wood that takes a darker stain evenly. I was thinking birch. Any opinions?

Old 08-19-08, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
If yer talking about the stuff at HD (or Lowe's probably as well), I think it will pretty much act like birch, tho someone told me it's Virola? I bought it for some painted cabinets and it worked wonderfully. Mine was 7 layers, smooth and clean grain on both sides. Might want to see if they have a damaged piece they will sell cheaper and test it. Really the only way to know.