Strength of floor in tiny loft-space

Old 08-17-08, 11:21 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Strength of floor in tiny loft-space

Hi,
I'm an owner of a 600 sq. ft. 2.5 year old condo with 14 foot ceilings. Above my bathroom is a space that is open on two sides; the floor space measures 7' X 10'. The ceiling/floor is constructed with 2 by 8's. The loft floor part of this is covered by two sheets of plywood and on top of that is laminate flooring. The previous owner did not use the space for anything, but I would like to put this space to good use (but I also don't want my bathroom ceiling to come crashing down, esp. if I'm in the loft!). I'm considered either putting a bed up there or making the space into a home office. How much weight can this floor/ceiling support?? Should I have a carpenter come in and do something to make the floor/ceiling stronger? If so, what should this person do?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-08, 04:12 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What thickness is the plywood?? 2x8 joists are better the the usual 2x6 for an unlivable space, but not much. It would be OK for storage, but not much else. If it were made into a living space, how would one get out in an emergency???