Dowel and edge banding questions

Old 08-26-08, 08:24 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dowel and edge banding questions

Hi,

I'm trying to create a 2-piece wooden top for a pool table, with one side stained nicely (use for buffet table during parties) and the other side painted like a ping pong table. I've gotten 1/2 inch plywood that has a nicely sanded finish but have a few questions:

1. To create the sections I had two pieces of plywood cut down to 5', so each piece is 5'x 4'. That wasn't quite long enough to allow the overhang I want, so I also cut a 5' x 6" piece that I want to dowel & glue to the edge of one section. My question is--how close together should the dowels be? Twelve inches, less?

2. I'm hunting for an easy way to stain these big pieces of wood. Is it possible to use a roller with a combo stain/polyurethane product, or would that create too many air bubbles?

3. What can I use to make the edge look nice? I don't own a router (or know how to use one) so I'm wondering about some kind of edge banding...

Thanks for your help,
Beth

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-08, 03:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Beth: I don't think 1/2" plywood will give you the stability you will be looking for in a buffet type table top. 3/4 Sandeply cabinet grade plywood may have worked better. Since you need to join the edges together with smaller pieces, try this. Get the 3/4" plywood and get an 8' piece of poplar 1x6. Now you will have a good stratum to use dowels. Place the dowels about 6-8" apart, edge glue the wood, glue the dowels. Now comes the tough part. You will need long pipe clamps to pull the two pieces together until they dry. Once they are dry, you will have a table top with a bread board type edge in a good length to overlay the pool table. You can use edge banding on the long edges to dress it up. Staining would probably be best done with a rag. Allowing the stain to remain on the wood for a few minutes then a complete wipe down should give an even grain staining. Apply a good latex polyurethane over the stain and it should take the punishment, except for hot pots and bowls, so be careful.