Securing built-in bookcase framing to existing walls

Old 08-27-08, 07:30 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Securing built-in bookcase framing to existing walls

I've built a large freestanding bookcase unit previously, but now I'm looking at adding some built-in shelving units to walls.

I'm thinking of attaching some vertical 1x10s to the walls, about 6' high each. In most cases, I'd toenail or screw down through the tops of the 1-bys and into studs, and toenail or screw several places down the sides, again into studs, as well as into the floor. I'd have to remove the baseboard and cut to fit between the vertical supports, but then again, I'm taking up the carpet anyway, so I was going to have to do that already.

A top shelf (again, 1x10) would rest atop the verticals and be screwed down into them, and individual shelves would run between the verticals (fixed shelves screwed in place, etc.)

Does that sound like it makes sense for attaching to the walls? Or would some bracketing be better? I'd originally considered attaching those shelf-mounting strips like you can get for closets to the studs, but wanted a more finished look.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-08, 07:45 AM
C
Some pocket holes in the back of the 1x10's going back into the wall studs would give it great support. Just use a long enough screw to go through the sheetrock and at least 1/2" into the stud. You can get a pocket hole jig at Rocklers.

Old 08-27-08, 08:18 AM
E
Thanks--that makes sense. And the jig will make finishing easier; I hadn't thought of that (for the freestanding unit I built, I countersunk the screws and puttied, sanded, then stained all the filled holes--made it impossible to move later, though, as I had no way to disassemble it. )

Now, I get to think about the base; the baseboard mightn't be an issue, as I could just frame in a platform for it to stand on, using 2x4's laid on their thin side, topped with a 1x12 shimmed as necessary, and then put the 1x10 verticals atop that, instead of directly on the floor. That will make it easier to ensure a level footing, will hide the removed baseboard, and keep the bottom "shelf" off the floor itself.