Nail Polish remover spilled on wood cabinets--help!

Old 09-04-08, 06:59 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Nail Polish remover spilled on wood cabinets--help!

Hi George----I am new to the forum as of today and my wife had an accident and spilled nail polish remover down the front of our wood cabinets in the master bath. She tried her best to wipe it off but it appears to have removed the finish and left white marks where it ran and spattered. Any ideas short of sanding and refinishing the affected area? Thanks----Nick

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-08, 09:01 AM
S
Welcome!

NPR is acetone and would damage most finishes.It probably didn't damage the stain underneath.

Part of a solution depends on what the finish is and are the cabinets solid wood or something else.

Finish is probably polyurethane and if the material is real wood then a restoring product like restor-a-finish might help you.

If the cabinets are presswood,mdf or veneered with either wood or vinyl then you have a more serious issue.

If you know the manufacturer you might be able to get info and help from them.If resoring products aren't enough then a refinish is probably your only option.

Old 09-04-08, 09:57 AM
I agree with most of the above - depending on the age of the cabinets they're probably finished with either a lacquer, or catalyzed lacquer.

Repairing is probably going to be a job for a professional. It can be done, but it requires materials and knowledge not available commonly.

Stripping (not sanding) and refinishing may be your only option as a DIY project.

As suggested, check with the Mfg for more info if you can.