Can I dye Parawood

Old 09-06-08, 08:11 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I dye Parawood

I'm working on a kitchen table and chairs made from Parawood. I'm wondering if I can dye them and is there anything special I shoud do. I've read that Parawood can blotch, can I use sanding sealer to prevent this?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-08, 03:16 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I had to look that one up. Basically, a rubber tree that has stopped producing latex. The definition says the wood is easily finished, so if the wood was not previously stained or finished, I would guess that it could be stained as you like. You said "dye", but that is not what is done to color wood, just a terminoloy quirk. It looks like a tight grained light colored wood in its' natural state, so I would experiment with a hidden part that will not show. If the wood was previously finished, it cannot be stained without stripping back to bare wood.

Old 09-07-08, 04:14 PM
C
Received 89 Votes on 68 Posts
Jwoodman - I'm not familiar with parawood. I've never worked with it, but I'm sure it can be dyed. Look for a dye stain at a paint store. You can probably get dye stain on line at places like Rockler's.

I've used them on oak. It's a little tougher to work with than a regular stain because it dries quicker so you have to be careful when applying. You can get some very nice color effect though.