Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Carpentry, Cabinetry and Interior Woodworking
Reload this Page >

I want to make a canopy fr my 4 poster bed. Can someone, anyone pls help me

Old 09-06-08, 02:37 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

i have a 4r poster bed, but i hv cathedral ceilings, any idea how to build a canopy that attaches to the bed posts? i've searched everywhee on the internet but to no avail...thank God fr this site.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-08, 02:44 PM
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Can you post a pic of the bed, so we can see what you have to work with.
There are lots of ways to do what you are trying to do. We want to give you ideas that fit what you have.

Travis

Old 09-06-08, 04:12 PM
D
Originally Posted by waterwelldude View Post
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Can you post a pic of the bed, so we can see what you have to work with.
There are lots of ways to do what you are trying to do. We want to give you ideas that fit what you have.

Travis
my posting rules statea that i cannot post attachments, how do i send you the picture>

Old 09-06-08, 04:44 PM
D
to give you a littel more details - it is a 4 poster king size bed, i want to make a frame that will fit the 4 posters and attach curtains to...I hope this explains it a little more

Old 09-06-08, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 112 Votes on 87 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forums! Do you just want to hang curtains around the sides or do you want to put something over the top too, like a sunburst or covered frame?
If you just want to hang curtains, you can just mount curtain rods into inside mount brackets (or barrel brackets). You'll have to screw the brackets into the posts. I think this would be easiest for just hanging curtains. If you want to put a covered canopy above then it becomes more involved.

You can look at a barrel bracket HERE

Old 09-06-08, 09:13 PM
D
WONDERFUL, this is exactly what I've been looking for. thank you.

Old 09-06-08, 09:16 PM
D
uh ho, one more question, what kind of mounting brackets shld I use, can I purchase them at home depot or somehwhere similar?
again, thanks sooooo much for your help :-)

Old 09-06-08, 09:25 PM
D
oh my another question?????????? yes I want to hang curtains around the bed....
1. as I shld attach the rods to the top of the poster, (which is kinda small)
2. how wld I attach the mounting bracket to the poster, and 3. what kind of curtain rod, the round ones?
I hate to sound stupid, but I just want to be sure as to what I'm doing. Again your help is invaluable...I've been searching the internet for 3 days!!

Old 09-07-08, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator
In thinking about it this morning, I'm second guessing my suggestion. It may not be a good idea to mount rods all around because there's no center support and the side rods would probably sag unless you got solid iron, which may be too pricey and may even weight too much for your posters to handle.
It would work if you just wanted panels behind the bed and only needed one rod.
Let me ask you, do the top of the posters have finials that screw on and off? If so, you could buy the rails that go on top of the posts, then the finials get screwed back on top.
If not, I have seen crown molding used as a frame on top and the rods could be attached to the inside, however, I do not know how the molding is attached.
Maybe someone with experience in building framework may see this.
I'm sorry if I've disappointed you, but it's better to be aware of problems now.

Old 09-08-08, 08:47 PM
D
Smile

thank you Shadeladie for the info, I do have the finials that screw on and off, what kind of rails would I get, I'm trying to post a pic of the bed but I can't post attachments, any ideas?
Again, thanks, your help is gratefully appreciated

Old 09-09-08, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator
Can I ask if you've gone to the store where you bought the bed or if you've looked on the website of the manufacturer. Either would be the place to contact about buying the rails already made specifically for your bed.
If that's not going to work for you, can I ask if your bed is wood or metal. If it's wood, I'll move this thread to the carpentry section to see if someone there can help you with making them.

Old 09-09-08, 10:13 PM
D
it is wood, i dont knw the manufactor as it was a gift, it measures 82" frm one post to the other
here is what it looks like (approximately)
http://www.bedroom-furniture-direct....fid=XT6-WW2605
I searched everywhere looking for just a frame but to no avail

Old 09-09-08, 10:16 PM
D
again, thank u for all your help :-))

Old 09-10-08, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator
Wow, what a nice gift! Lucky you! I'm moving this to carpentry and put the pics on here so they know what you want and maybe they can tell you what to use and how to attach it.

Here's a similar bed:

These are the rails that go at the top. Don't have to be exact but something like this:

Old 09-11-08, 10:47 PM
D
these are exactly the rails I am looking for, where can I find them??? You have been so helpful and I extend my heartfelt thanks ...again. Have a great w/e

911 - We still remember...God Bless America!

Old 09-12-08, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator
This was on the same site you linked to: HERE

I remember seeing places you could order just the rails from, not that long ago, but I can't seem to find them anymore.

I'm pretty sure they're 1x2's that are painted or stained, but I'm not quite sure how they're attached under the finials. I'm hoping someone will see this and shed some light. Hello, anyone out there?

Have you considered finding a carpenter or even a handyman in your area that could make these up for you? Usually if you look in the classifieds in your local paper you'll find them.
I'm thinking even if you find some online, the shipping costs may be quite high because of the size.