Easy Crown Moulding

Old 09-22-08, 10:30 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Talking Easy Crown Moulding

I recently started a crown moulding project and decided to try using corner blocks to avoid cutting the inside corners. It was easier, but ran up the cost of the project considerably. Then when it came to some outside corners, I tried a Bench Dog crown jig (bought at Lowes) and it was a piece of cake. Wish I'd bought the jig before I spent the $$$ on those inside corner blocks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-08, 03:46 PM
J
Not familiar with the gadget, but I will have to look into it. Outside corners are not too difficult, just take some cut/trim fitting. Inside corners have always been easy, once i learned how to cope........many years ago. I never use blocks unless the customer requests them.

Old 09-22-08, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I looked at the jig, it does look like it makes it easier to put the crown in place on the saw, as opposed to just holding it tight against the fence.

But I'm with JB, once you know the correct way to cope, it doesn't take long at all. And I've always thought a tight coped joint looks better than a butted miter cut.

I know there are those that disagree, and thats why everyone is free to an opinion, right?

Saw a machine on TOH, that cuts and copes at the same time, but...mmmmm, couple of grand is a bit much for this DIY'r.

Old 09-24-08, 03:52 AM
J
I looked at the gadget. Very cheap chineese junk from what I can see. All it does is hold the molding for miter cuts. Since I only do outside corner miters, all others get coped joints, and no house angle is exactly 90deg, this is useless, IMHO. But if it helps you, then well worth it.

Old 01-20-09, 06:39 AM
Tips

I've been trying to cope my corners and I can't seem to make them tight. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and want to get this right. Any tips on coping, i.e. leave a bit to sand, etc.

Also, have any of you coped MDF and what was/is your experience with it?

Thanks

Old 01-20-09, 06:42 AM
A
A little caulk hides a multitude of sins After caulk and paint, those little imperfections seem to recede.

As for the plastic gadget. I found it helpful in that it replaced the need for expensive corner blocks.