Stripping Paint From Wicker Furniture

Old 09-23-08, 06:23 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Stripping Paint From Wicker Furniture

Just recieved some wicker shelfs. But they were painted white and that paint is peeling. I would like to return them to there natural beauty. Anyone have any wicker wisdom?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-08, 04:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 317 Votes on 281 Posts
I've never tried to strip wicker. I don't know how feasable it would be. You might try some stripper on a small area and see how it works.

Old 09-24-08, 12:37 PM
T
It is not likely that you will be successful in removing all paint because of the porous nature of the natural wicker material and all the gaps where wicker is overlapped in weaving of material. An option may be to use brush to gently remove peeling paint and to lightly sand. Then use a paint and glaze that would give you the look of natural wicker.

Old 10-04-08, 07:47 AM
R
I agree with twelvepole -- any /stripper will damage/weaken the wicker -- best to get a wire brush and remove the loose stuff. Sand if you want, but wicker is so uneven that I don't think even you would notice (except on armrests - not an issue here). Clean well (try a vacuum or blower first rather than water) and paint. use a primer because wicker moves and that will help your new coat stick. Shelves won't move much -- not like chairs -- so you should be pleased with the result.