Replacing window casing (Need guidance!)

Old 09-24-08, 04:09 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing window casing (Need guidance!)

I have been replacing the window casing in our house with oak and now that I am almost done I am not sure if what I did is going to come back and haunt me.

The original casing had a window sil. When i redid the casing, I removed that window sil.

Is this going to be a problem when I install the blinds? Will air movement/flow or fans cause the blinds to bang around since they wont be resting on the window sil? Was it bad to have removed those window sils? What is the modern look? Here are the before and after shots.

This is what the window casing used to look like:

Here is a closeup of the window sil:

Here is the finished window:

Notice I no longer have a window sil:

Will this be a problem?

Thanks

Old 09-24-08, 04:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It just depends on what design you like. If you don't miss the stools, then it serves your purpose. Good job on the trim. Hopefully your blinds will be heavy enough for a ceiling fan not to "bang" them around. And resting on the stool doesn't keep them from moving that much. You can also install keepers (that come with your blind kits) to keep them taught while they are down.

Old 09-24-08, 04:20 PM
B
Originally Posted by chandler
It just depends on what design you like. If you don't miss the stools, then it serves your purpose. Good job on the trim. Hopefully your blinds will be heavy enough for a ceiling fan not to "bang" them around. And resting on the stool doesn't keep them from moving that much. You can also install keepers (that come with your blind kits) to keep them taught while they are down.
stools = the technical term for window sil?? (just to clarify)

What is/was the main purpose of the window sil/stool? Do modern houses have them or do they go without them?

What do keepers look like?

Thanks! It took a long time to figure out how to get the angles just right...

Old 09-24-08, 05:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
(yes, stool is the proper term, but many people incorrectly call them window sills- the sill is actually the sloped part that makes up the bottom of the window frame outside.)

The only problem that you might run into when you remove the stool is that the bottom edge of the casing will probably be about 3/4" higher as a result. This would normally expose some unfinished/unpainted drywall, plaster, or panelling below the bottom piece of casing.

If this won't be a problem because you can repaint, etc. then go for it- the choice is up to you. Just a question of which style you prefer.

Old 09-24-08, 07:29 PM
B
Originally Posted by XSleeper
The only problem that you might run into when you remove the stool is that the bottom edge of the casing will probably be about 3/4" higher as a result. This would normally expose some unfinished/unpainted drywall, plaster, or panelling below the bottom piece of casing.
Yeah.. we mudded/sanded every window so that it looked good.. Its an old house and there was alot of layers of paint.. most of the surrounding areas of the window had to be touched up.

So there is no standard for what new homes normally have? stool vs nothing?

Old 09-24-08, 07:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
No, standards vary depending on the area and price of the home. Stool & apron would cost a little more in materials, time and labor. Some newer homes don't even HAVE window trim. In some areas, the drywall returns right back to the window.

Some homes might look odd with stools because they seem out of place, compared with the rest of the trim.

Other homes look best WITH stools, because of the period of the home. These same homes might have very wide casing to go with the high ceilings and large rooms.

Personally, I like stools and aprons when it's appropriate... I'm into the old fashioned look. And it's more fun to install.
Your trim looks very good, I think. If you want one helpful hint, it would be that nail holes are easier to fill when they aren't right in the groove. Try to nail on a spot that is smooth and flat.

Old 09-25-08, 03:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
One more comment. I have requests quite often to install the stool, and carry the case trim completely through it and turn it below, making it look like the stool was built in the casing. Just an alternative to the standard 30 degree apron on the bottom. It would look similar to what you have but the stool would have been left in place.

Old 09-25-08, 09:14 AM
B
Originally Posted by chandler
One more comment. I have requests quite often to install the stool, and carry the case trim completely through it and turn it below, making it look like the stool was built in the casing. Just an alternative to the standard 30 degree apron on the bottom. It would look similar to what you have but the stool would have been left in place.
Can you show a picture of what you mean? Thanks!

I will post a couple more pictures of the entire room look. Being that you guys have more experience in this area, I would be interested in knowing if you feel if the room would have been better with the stool. If you don't mind

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: