router table features for window stools

Old 10-08-08, 12:58 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
router table features for window stools

I am going to attempt to make stools for my new windows (can't buy them for the Marvin windows I installed).

I have a Porter Cable router and need a table. I want to get a table that has enough features for my current project and maybe future use when I redo my basement.

Can I get a table without spending a a lot on something that I won't use regularly? Any suggestions on features I should look for?

Thanks,
Al

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-08, 01:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
It won't be the table, but the bits that do the trick. Always look for a longer table with a good fence. Table height is crucial since you will need to stand and do the work as well as see the work as it goes through the bit area. I have mine mounted on a table about 38" making the bit area comfortable to see since the table is another 12" or so in height.
To make stools you will need a table saw and a 1/2" round over bit for the router.

Old 10-09-08, 08:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 667 Votes on 617 Posts
The size and type of router bit you use actually depends on your personal taste or perhaps the style you are trying to match. Some stools we make have as little as an 1/8" roundover on all edges. For others, 1/4" or 3/8" looks better- usually on wider 5/4 stools a larger roundover bit is used. Some stools might even have an ogee on them.

Your smaller roundovers don't necessarily require a router table, and can even be done with a small laminate trimmer when using router bits with a pilot bearing. Larger router bits obviously need a bigger router (can you tell I've burned up more than one laminate trimmer? ), but can still be done by running the router over the work piece, rather than running the workpiece over the router / router table.

I've made my own router table and fence so I can't give you any recommendations.

Old 10-10-08, 02:45 PM
A
Thanks chandler and XSLeeper.

My wife likes the simpler style (that's why she married me, I guess) so I plan to make 1/2 inch roundover edges using 5/4. They will be stained so I will need to get quality stock.

The windows are trimmed with clamshell moulding and I plan to put the same beneath the stool with a return to make it nice.

Regarding the table, any features related to the fence, table or mitre that I should consider? I don't need the best but I want to make sure I can do the job.

Sorry for being such a novice at this router stuff. I learn as I go. I am more of a RDIY (redo it yourself) when it comes to new skills.

Thanks again,
Al

Old 10-11-08, 09:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 45 Posts
Not sure how much is in your budget, but this is the table/fence/plate that I use:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=21291

Been using it for quite a while and it works well; you just build your own base/legs. Mine sits on top of an old base cabinet for a radial arm saw that I sold off many moons ago.

I notice all of theirs are currently on back order; very popluar item.

Old 10-12-08, 09:16 AM
I have purchased alot of Router Tables and have found that you can build a much better one than you can buy and alot cheeper. There are many web pages that have free plans and you get what you want.

Old 10-14-08, 05:04 AM
A
Thanks for the input.

I think I will stick to buying my first table since this is my first router project.

I wanted to stay below $200 on price so the Rockler is in the ballpark. Someone also lead me to this site: http://www.routertabledepot.com/benchtoptables1.html

Seems to be a similar type table with the main difference being size and the Rockler's aluminum plate.

Al

Old 10-14-08, 05:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 45 Posts
Looks pretty similar. I do like the aluminum mount plate on my Rockler.