Kreg pocket hole tool. (Anyone using it?)

Old 10-29-08, 03:08 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kreg pocket hole tool. (Anyone using it?)

New to woodworking. Got a new home and want to make some book shelves, garage storage cabinets, little stuff like that. Saw an infomercial just now for the Kreg pocket hole tools. Looked on Amazon and saw a kit for $139. See that there are special screws that are to be used. Wondering if anyone was familiar with this tool and if so, could you offer any thoughts on it. Looks pretty nifty.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-08, 05:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 45 Posts
Just bought a kit myself a couple of weeks ago. Been woodworking for decades but never did pocket holes. Love it so far using it on a couple of small projects. Got this one from Lowes for $99:

http://www.kregtool.com/products/pht...PRODUCT_ID=109

The difference in the two kits I think are the more expensive one includeds a clamp and stop block device. I went with the smaller kit and figured I could decide what else I needed later. Also I read a review somwhere that the clamp included with the more expensive kit is a little lacking in quality.

Old 10-29-08, 05:50 AM
W
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Pocket Hole Tool

I have the lower priced kit which does not include the clamp. It is a two-hole jig with drill bit and screw driver bit. I love it. Works for various thickness stock. Be sure to use the pocket hole screws designed for these.

Old 10-29-08, 09:39 AM
R
I have been woodworking for over 25 years. It has been very rare that I've been able to buy a tool this inexpensive that works so well.

I've had the 3-hole version with clamp and bit for about a year now. I don't think I'll ever put together another face-frame without it.

It's a great tool.

Old 10-29-08, 08:28 PM
P
Thumbs up

I have used my Kreg Jig for so many things like building cabinets to fastening deck boards from the bottom side.
It is by far the handiest tool I own.

I think you can get the deluxe kit at Menards for $99 Beer 4U2

Old 10-29-08, 08:50 PM
U
I have the single shooter and I LOVE it. It's great for face frames and works pretty well for mitered picture frames too once you figure out how to set it up on the 45.

Old 10-30-08, 06:38 PM
D
Sounds worth having for sure. I ordered from Amazon. Got the kit I mentioned, three instructional dvds, and found a pocket hole book. Read the reviews on the book and it made many references to the Kreg tool. Can't wait to put this thing to use. Looks like it is a very handy tool.

Old 10-31-08, 02:57 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I bought a small kit several years ago and only used it for the first time earlier this year. Afterward, I went out and bought some more of the pieces I didn't have - I like it a lot.