Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Building kitchen cabinets - what would be a good wood?

MN

11-02-08, 01:26 PM   #1 (permalink)  

Hi all - I will be building kitchen cabinets soon and am wondering what would be a good wood choice. I will be using the wood for the face frames, raised panel doors, and panels for exposed sides of the cabinets. I am also going to build a bench using the same wood fro the mud room which is off the kitchen. My wife and I really like the look of Alder. Currently, everything in our home is oak, and we definitely don't want to use that (too much oak as it is). Maple is also a consideration. I am wondering what you all recommend. I have read that Alder is a softer hardwood and can scratch easily. I have also read that is it not very rot resistant so it may be an issue in a wet place like a kitchen. Any recommendations re. Alder vs Maple (which type of Maple if you recommend maple, and same for Alder). Any other woods I should be considering.

Thanks for your help!
Rob

Sponsored Links

DE

11-02-08, 04:46 PM   #2 (permalink)  
Finished look is strictly a personal choice, no recommendations from me on that. For the cabinet box, use minimum 1/2 cabinet grade plywood, with a finished side on any side that will show. Most custom and semicustom shops do that to save on the final cost. No need for expensive finished plywood if it is buried where it will never be seen. Face frames are always 3/4 hardwood in whatever you select, as should be the doors. Dovetail drawers, no plastic, ball bearing slides.

MN

11-02-08, 05:27 PM   #3 (permalink)  

dmrlook -

I am re-doing my cabinets, which is not that far from doing it new except hanging the boxes.

The suggestion of using veneered plywod is good to make a solid box that can be finished as desired.

My existing cabinets very solid and are oak face frames with veneered plywood sides. The doors/drawer fronts are also oak (much too dark and too wild grain).

We will be painting the interior because it is too dark. Like, you, we do not like the look of the oak doors/drawers, the grain and the veneer grain on the box ends.

What I have decided to do is veneer over the ends and face frames with thin cherry veneer. I have looked into buying new solid cherry doors (combination of panels and grazing) with hinges attached. They will not be stained because we do not want the "old fashioned" dark cherry look, but like the grain patterns.

A couple of cabinet makers I talked to, buy their doors instead of making them, since it is easier to do that and make the boxes themselves to fit the house. - They can also do more of the work they are better suited to, since purchased unfinished doors can be made very accurate and economically. Doors are available in any size since they are made to your order with many different panel and edging choices and in many different types of wood ranging from pine, cedar to many different species (including different types). The important thing is to all the doors and drawer fronts at the same time since you will get more uniformity since they are usually made to order at the same time from the same stock.

After that, it is just finishing the veneer and hanging the doors using a jig. In your case, you will still have to hang the boxes.

Just another option if it may fit your situation.

MN

11-03-08, 04:24 PM   #4 (permalink)  
Thanks all. I plan to make the drawers and doors as I enjoy the work and am in no rush, so I can make them at my own pace. Where can I buy veneered plywoods in a non-bulk fashion. At any good lumberyard that has hardwoods? Any internet site I can buy this at. I had planned on making plywood for exposed sides out of 3/4 in thick stock since I did not know where I could get veneered plywood, but obviously, veneered plywood is a MUCH cheaper way to go, so any suggestions as to where I an get this are much appreciated.

Thanks!

11-13-08, 07:23 AM   #5 (permalink)  
Carpentry related information

Hi,
Following is the link you can have many and many more information about your kitchen cabinet.
Carpentry | Carpentry as a Career
Regards,

Nick

Posted By: dmrlook Thanks all. I plan to make the drawers and doors as I enjoy the work and am in no rush, so I can make them at my own pace. Where can I buy veneered plywoods in a non-bulk fashion. At any good lumberyard that has hardwoods? Any internet site I can buy this at. I had planned on making plywood for exposed sides out of 3/4 in thick stock since I did not know where I could get veneered plywood, but obviously, veneered plywood is a MUCH cheaper way to go, so any suggestions as to where I an get this are much appreciated.

Thanks!

IL

11-17-08, 08:47 PM   #6 (permalink)  
Your after a Furniture grade plywood. Furniture grade has a thicker outer laminate, which gives a better finish. Around here I have Pekin Hardwood lumber company. Although Menard's around here has a decent selection of plywood. They can alos order what you need.

As for wood. My preferences lean towards Ash, Birch and Cherry. I have even made cabinets out of Knotty Pine. My current kitchen cabinets are Cherry. This past summer I made a basement bar sink from a new product. Well new to me. 3/4" laminated Luan plywood. Since they stopped recommending lunar for underlaments on floors it started showing up in other applications. Its very hard, and has a red hue. Look for it at Menard's.

Search this Thread