Caster problem!! Please help....

Old 11-12-08, 09:42 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Caster problem!! Please help....

Hi friends,

I have an aquarium that rests on a stand made up of 4 wooden legs each having a cross-section of 4.5x3 inches.It has become necessary for me to fix casters to this stand to enable temporary shifting once in a while.I have got the casters but the problem is that the plate is a size 5.5x4.5 inches.....and this is the smallest size available for that weight capacity.I have no idea how to attach it without compromising on the strength and balance of the stand.
Please help.

Thanks in advance,
regards
hrmdk

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-08, 10:32 AM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Casters

Cut plywood squares larger than the casters' base and attach a square to the bottom of each leg. Attach the casters to the squares.

Old 11-12-08, 10:50 AM
S
If you go the peices of plywood route make sure it's good thick solid material and especially that it is well mounted to the borttom of the legs.That peice with a caster on it will be subject to lots of force when you move the stand and the weak link will be where it's attached to the leg.So take into account shearing and stress from moving it.

If it was me I'd build some sort of base out of lumber that was interconnected to the legs and to itself and mount the casters to that.I'd also consider bracing between the legs if this stand was never designed to be moved.

Old 11-13-08, 02:39 AM
H
Thanks for your valuable inputs Wirepuller38,spdavid. I think what you are trying to tell me is to make the leg thicker to accomodate the bigger plate.Then i guess ill have to find some
way to fix the wood to the legs so that it can take the shearing load.. i think ill use some nuts and bolts to hold it together and bracing between the legs.Ill go with lumber instead of ply just to be on the safe side.
Thanks again guys.
regards
hrmdk