stair banister Help / Idea's / Info?

Old 11-24-08, 11:30 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb stair banister Help / Idea's / Info?

Hello All,

We are in the home stretch of finishing up our remodel of the house. One thing I am stuck on is what to do for a banister for the stair case we have. My wife was leaning towards doing something in iron / metal, however we are still unsure.

Any idea's would be great! Please see pictures below:

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-08, 11:41 AM
W
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Bannister

Go with whatever your wife wants. Keep her happy so you can be happy. Good luck with your project. It really looks great!

Old 11-24-08, 02:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I'm a "wood" guy. But you have to live with her. Is that brazilian cherry on the floor?

Old 11-24-08, 02:58 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by burmjohn View Post
Hello All,

We are in the home stretch of finishing up our remodel of the house. One thing I am stuck on is what to do for a banister for the stair case we have. My wife was leaning towards doing something in iron / metal, however we are still unsure.

Any idea's would be great! Please see pictures below:

I'm with Chandler on this one. However, the sides of the stairs do not appear to be wide enough to use a top and bottom rail with wood balusters. The floor and steps look so good, I would like to see wood. As stated, however, you DO have to live there. Keep the faith and the peace!!

Old 11-24-08, 03:35 PM
J
Beautiful floor, nice steps, but I agree with the others, wood would be my choice. But it is not wide enought for a standard wood system.

Old 11-24-08, 03:56 PM
B
That is a tough one. You can put a wood cap on the skirt board and drill into it to set metal balusters. The tough part is what to do at the top. I would normally frame a wall part way down so you could end the rail into it. The only thing I can see to do is run a cap along the ceiling and cut ballusters into it. Not the best looking idea in my opinion.

Old 11-24-08, 07:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I think it could be decoratively aproned with a 2x? from the top to bottom along the top edge on the outside, fastened securely and the surface may take the torquing of a balustrade.