Did I just destroy my door frame?

Old 12-17-08, 06:03 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Did I just destroy my door frame?

My house is about 100 yrs old, with a lovely, tall, arched doorway. There's a wood frame and glass transom in the arch. It appears that the frame is original and has only two coats of paint.

I sanded the door as best I could, in many places down to the wood (not sure what kind of wood it is). I primed the entire frame with Terminator 2 (duron) primer, as i had an extra gallon and stupidly didn't take the time to research wood primers.

Before priming, i noticed a bit of dry-rot along the bottom of the transom, so i brushed on what i thought was a wood hardener, but turns out was a weatherproofer/sealer (thin, muddy tan in color, not sure of the brand). Upon learning of my mistake, I let the weatherprooofer/sealer dry and applied several coats of Minwax wood hardener. I then primed over that as well with the Term 2.

So, I have essentially two coats of Term 2 on the whole thing and that one area with the primer over the wood hardener, which was applied over the weatherproofer/sealer.

Is this ok, or is there some other prep i should do before i put on the paint?

Thanks!
--Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-08, 03:09 PM
J
The wood hardener should go on bare wood. If everything dried(not sticky/tacky), and the primer is not falling off, paint away.

Old 12-17-08, 03:42 PM
S
thanks, Bill. the only problem now is that i need two consecutive days above 35 deg with no rain.