wood veneer to apply over top of door jamb?

Old 12-20-08, 02:23 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post wood veneer to apply over top of door jamb?

I have prefinished door jambs that need to be extended for a deeper wall opening. What I'd like to do is attach an unfinished piece of wood to extend the jamb, then cover both pieces with a thin piece of veneer that matches the grain and finish of the rest of the jamb. That way it will be seamless and we won't be able to tell where the two pieces join.

Where can we find and purchase very thin veneer like this? What is the product called and where would be the best place to find it or inquire about it?

Thank you for your help,
Kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-08, 06:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
It really won't look all that good to use an applique, even a veneer. I would try to match the wood in species and cut extensions, attaching them to the existing jamb so they will be reasonably flush. Believe me, you won't notice and neither will anyone else. Contact paper or some press and stick stuff will stick out rather badly.

Old 12-21-08, 05:02 AM
J
Another possibility is to offset the extension just a bit. This adds a detail line and solves the flush fit problem. But I agree that you will likey not be all that happy with a veneer.

Old 12-21-08, 08:38 AM
K
re: wood veneer to apply over top of door jamb?

Thank you for the replies - the door jamb is made by Mastercraft, purchased from Menards. It is 'prefinished' but looks to me like it just has a thin, prefinished veneer covering the jamb as well. I was just wondering if I could find the same kind of veneer that matches it? However I definitely agree with what you are saying, and if it isn't going to look the same as the rest of the doorways I don't want to do it.

Just Bill what do you mean by offsetting the jamb? Can you point me towards an example perhaps, somewhere on the web? Thank you.

If this is not an option I will extend the jamb with something that matches the jamb as closely as possible. Then I will attach them to each other with biscuits I think, I know someone that has a biscuit joiner that I can borrow.

Thanks again, any advice is appreciated!

Kevin

Old 12-21-08, 10:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
I think I've seen the product you're using... kind of a light colored fake wood door and jamb, with a little wood texture. I think you can buy unassembled jamb legs that will match the wood grain and color exactly, then rip them down to size on a table saw and add a jamb extension onto your doors, like JustBill mentioned.

Rather than trying to attach the jamb extension onto the jamb so that it lines up perfectly, what an offset means is that you just move the jamb extension over 1/8" or 3/16" or so to create a step, or reveal, and it will look fine. In some cases when the jamb is not rounded very much you can make the step even smaller. You normally want to add the jamb extension onto the side of the door jamb that does not have the hinges or strike plate.

Old 12-23-08, 06:36 AM
K
I think that getting matching jamb legs and header and ripping them down to the right size might be my best option. And before I actually attach them I will try setting them in place offset a little bit to see how that looks, maybe that will be easier than trying to get them to line up, hide a seam, etc. The only downside to that would be the jamb header wouldn't be quite wide enough and I'd have to get an extra leg or something to cut to the right length for the header - unless someone would have a better idea?

Thank you
Kevin

Old 12-23-08, 05:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
Using legs and cutting them to the right length for your head pc is the way to go.