hard wood floor cupping

Old 12-31-08, 12:40 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hard wood floor cupping

Hello,

I'm looking for help on an issue. Over Christmas, when watering the Xmas tree, water must have spilled under the tree stand and sat there for days as when I just removed my tree today, I noticed about a 1X2 foot area where the wood has started to cup. It's not noticable by the eye, however by the touch you can feel it. Is there any remidy to fix this without sanding and refinishing the whole entire room? They are 70 year old oak floors that were refinished 5 years ago. The spot affects maybe 4 boards total.

Thanks,

Justin

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-08, 01:25 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Give it a week or more to stabilize the moisture in the wood. Once it returns to match the other wood it should be ok. If not then re-post and consider other options.

HNY
Bud

Old 01-01-09, 08:05 AM
T
If you have a dehumidifier, this would be helpful. Running a fan in the air to improve air circulation can also be beneficial.

Old 01-08-09, 07:38 PM
Smile

Place a piece of wood over the high spot and place heavy objects on top(maybe 50 lbs.) and in a week or so it should go back down(hopefully all the way) as it dries out.

Old 01-15-09, 09:18 AM
A
Our sink leaked and the brazillian cherry in our kitchen did this badly, 2 months later, with us doing nothing (except fixing the leak) it was back to normal, so don't panic. Hopefully the wood self corrects as it did for us.

Old 01-15-09, 09:33 AM
T
You were lucky with the Brazilian Cherry. Brazilian Cherry, although more than twice as hard as American Cherry, is not as stable as American Cherry.

Factors to consider are amount of water that got under the flooring, how long before discovery and intervention, and type of intervention taken.