Old House wood chairs

Old 12-31-08, 05:49 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Old House wood chairs

We bought nice oak chairs from an Amish store in 2002. At this time we lived in a newly constructed home and had no problems with them. We have since bought a house built in the ealy 30's with little insulation and wood burning stove. Great fixer upper. However, it has done a number on our chairs and a little on the table. The chairs are my main concern. We have 8 and about half of them are falling apart and the others are starting to follow. They are all coming apart at the seams or whatever you call them. I feel that they are fixable and worth fixing. My husband says he does not know what to do about them, I think he is just starting to hate the house and everything that is a byproduct of it. Please help me fix these chairs. They cost way to much to turn them into firewood.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-08, 07:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! The lack of good insulation may cause you to either burn fires more often or run your heat, causing your humidity to be reduces, thus the wood will contract and cause the problems you are having. Definitely, they are worth repairing. A good polyurethane glue, such as gorilla glue will help keep the spindles in place. Other remedies will include using a spindle repair item that looks like a small flexible rasp that you form around the end of the spindle, and once it is inserted into the socket, the barbs will grab and hold, with a little help from your gorilla glue.

Old 01-02-09, 06:37 PM
H
Thanks, I will be heading to the hardware store next week to get started on that project. I will let you know how it goes.

hh

Old 01-08-09, 07:34 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by hholmes View Post
Thanks, I will be heading to the hardware store next week to get started on that project. I will let you know how it goes.

hh
Sounds lik you may need a humidifier to add moisture to the air. Also treating the wood with lemon oil will keep them healthy!