Oil bases or water based stain?

Old 01-02-09, 12:39 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oil bases or water based stain?

I am in the process of sanding stained kitchen cabinets down to the wood.I was planning on using Miniwax for stain. My question is,should I use a waterbased or an oil based stain? Which is best and/or easier. Do waterbased stains smell a long time compared to oil based?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-09, 03:00 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I've never used a water based stain. Experience with other products in both oil and water based tells me the water based should smell less.

Old 01-03-09, 06:19 PM
Z
Other than drying time,is there any difference between oil based ans water based stains?Imean,once they are applied,can you tell the difference? Anyone have experience with water based?

Old 01-04-09, 06:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 283 Posts
An oil base stain will deepen the colors naturally in the wood. Water based stain will color the wood but won't bring out the natural grain/color. If I remember correctly a water based stain will raise the grain more than oil base does. Unless water based and oil base stains are side by side, I doubt most would know the difference.

Old 01-04-09, 07:14 AM
Z
Thanks Mark,that was the answer I was looking for.I think I will go with an oil stain. One last question.I have used oil stain before,but only on a staircase landing,nothing like what I have to do on all the cabinets.

Is it really a necessasity to use a pre-stain wood conditioner? Cabinets are now sanded to the wood(soft wood).Also,I was going to apply the stain with a bruish.Is it a must to wipe what I apply or can I just leave it like that till it dries?

Old 01-04-09, 11:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I rarely use a wood conditioner but it does help to make the over all color of soft woods to be more uniform. Without conditioner the soft areas will stain darker than the rest. Some like to see the different colors in the wood while others prefer a more uniform color.

If you do a good job of dry brushing the stain unto the wood you can skip wiping off the excess but it is easier to slop the stain on and then wipe off the excess. Wiping prevents any areas from having too much stain that might not dry correctly and possibly be lifted up and smeared when the 1st poly coat is applied.

Old 01-04-09, 12:11 PM
Z
Ok,sounds good,one last qeustion.....I think...

If I do more than one coat of poly,should you always sand between coats? If so,is it best to wet sand,dry sand,and how fine should the paper be?

Old 01-04-09, 12:35 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It is always best to sand between coats. This gives the next coat a good tooth for adhession and also helps to level out any brush marks or anything else that would prevent a slick finish. Dry sanding with 180-220 grit should be fine - don't forget to wipe/brush off the sanding dust.

If I remember correctly it says on the poly label that you must sand between coats if the previous coat was applied over 5-6 [?] hrs ago. This is to promote good adhession.

Old 01-09-09, 08:53 PM
C
If oil stain is anything like oil based paint..each has its pros and cons.

Oil based seems to bring out the color better. It is also more resistant to fading and more durable.

Water/latex based anything is 10x easier to clean up. It also does not have as strong of an odor after applying it.