nailing crown moulding

Old 01-02-09, 06:57 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
nailing crown moulding

i will putting up crown moulding in the bedroom soon but i dont have a nail gun yet. is it possible to put it up without a nail gun or should i invest in one?
i dont want to damage the moulding with a hammer.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-09, 05:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 283 Posts
A nail gun makes it easier but you can hand nail without any damage if you predrill the holes and use a nail set after you drive the nail close.

Old 01-03-09, 09:43 AM
M
thanks for reply, i think i will use the nail set because if i buy the nail gun then i have to buy the compressor, hoses and all that for one job.
I am guessing 2.5 inch nails? finishing nails?
do pre drill at the studs and joist then hammer in the nail about 3/4s of the way in then use the nail set to hammer them in so they are imbedded in the molding or flush?

Old 01-03-09, 09:59 AM
J
Unless you're a fair hand with a hammer, you're almost certain to bung up the molding at some point or other. Plus, nailing overhead gets really tough in a hurry. Drive the nail close to flush with the hammer, then use the nail set to drive it just under the surface so you can putty over the hole.

Predrill the molding at each stud and joist. The hole should be just barely smaller than the diameter of the nail. 2 1/2" (8 penny) nails should be fine unless the walls are thick plaster. The nail should be long enough to get a good penetration into the stud or joist.

If you're planning on putting up more than just a couple of pieces of crown molding, I'd strongly suggest a nail gun. You could probably find one to rent if you don't want to end up owning one, although they're really handy to have and a compressor is useful for all kinds of things.

I've put crown molding throughout my house and wouldn't have even attempted it without a nail gun.

Old 01-03-09, 06:22 PM
M
measuring

here is a question for you. lets say that a room is 20 feet long hypothetically and i was going to use two pieces with a scarf joint each being about 10 feet. I know i would measure from corner to corner and the 20 feet long would be from the bottom of the molding which is the longest part.
But lets say i put up the first molding cut the right inside corner and i cut the first angle for the scarf joint. where do i measure from to find the exact lenghth the 2nd molding should be? how do i measure the second molding from where the scarf cut would be to the end corner? basically i am asking once the first molding is up with a scarf angle how do measure to find the length of the 2nd molding?

Old 01-03-09, 07:32 PM
D
Installing Crown molding

Rather than repeat it here I am going to provide you with a link to a site that is invalueable when it comes to cutting and installing crown molding. http://www.woodworkingtipsandtools.c...rown-moulding/

I have recently started a blog at www.woodworkingtipsandtools.com - I would like to invite everyone to add their favorite tips as well as reading the ones that are already there.

Old 01-04-09, 08:05 AM
M
angles

what kind of tool do i use to measure the angle at the corners of the walls? i put some objects in there with right angles and seems as though it is slightly bigger than 90degrees.
do i use a square that has a protractor on it then just divide by 2 at each corner?