Pole Barn Software?

Old 01-03-09, 01:06 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pole Barn Software?

I am going to attempt to build my own metal pole building. I have a neighbor with a dozer and a transit. I have a back hoe and I also have some relatives with young muscles for the heavy lifting. What I am looking for an inexpensive and easy to use software program for building a pole barn. Something that will let me play around with dimensions and give me a plan that I can turn into the county. I would also like it to be able to create a materials list so I can shop around myself for the best price. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

Floyd

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-09, 07:22 PM
R
Most building supply's have people on staff that can do what your asking if you buy from them. Plan's and material lists are generated by the software thew use.
I was going to put up a pole barn 30X48(already had plans) went to the local lumber yard/building supply (not big box) and when I talked to their estimator he asked why I was doing a pole building, I told him it was less expensive, he said no , I can build you a stick garage for the same $$ ! I said show me I went back the next day and he had plans, material list and price. Turns out it would cost me 250 more to go this way. Easier to wire,insulate and board. SOLD me. Glad I went that way in the end. Myself & 5 friends put it up in 2 1/2 days. Beer 4U2

Old 01-06-09, 06:34 AM
Hi ousleyf,

For your necessities, there are basically 2 types of programs--> The Computer-Aided Design (CAD) programs and the Home Design programs

A CAD program works with lines, shapes, etc and the main feature is the precision. This means that you can draw (for example) a rectangle with a precision of 1/256 of an inch. however the program doesn't know if you drew a wall or a machine or a shelf. A good CAD program costs +/- 1K (Autocad is about $5K) and you will need an additional module for rendering purposes. CAD programs usually have a looong learning curve and they are more intended for professional use

The Home Design programs work with walls, doors, roofs, etc and the main feature is the fact that the program understands your drawing. So if you draw a wall with a certain height, thickness, material, etc, a Home Design program will keep this info and will use it for rendering purposes, for material estimation, etc. Here, we are talking of about $80.00 to $500.00
You will get offers for less of the amounts above, but I'd suggest to avoid the cheap software, because usually they are old not supported versions like the Broderbund's old versions (V8 and older)

There are 3 programs you can check--> Punch, Best Home and Gardens and Turboflooplan.
Punch is a good program. Most of the Punch programs have a Power Tool called 3D workshop so you can create / import your own furniture, accessories, etc. They release a new program each year or less, and usually, you can upgrade for $19.99. Avoid the NexGen series. They have a demo versions (Try Platinum)
Better Home and Gardens. This program started as a sub-product of the Magazine, however, now is powered by Chief Architect, so is a little better than it was. However, you can't create your own furniture, etc. They don't have a demo versions
Turbo Floorplan is rather new, so I don't know how the upgrades will work. I used IMSI's Floorplan in the past and it was not a bad program. They don't have a demo versions

I hope these comments help, but let me know if you have additional questions

Old 01-09-09, 10:45 AM
O
Thanks so much for your comments. I have looked at the software that you mention in your comments. I went into Staples, grabbed all of their home design software, found and chair and sat there and read all of them. I even called one of programs tech dept. They had me on terminal hold so I hung up. I am still not sure if any of the programs will do what I want. You sound as though know what you are talking about, so I'll ask if you think, based on my requirements (Pole Building) if any of the home design programs will allow a kind of free design other than building a house? Thanks again for your comments.

Old 01-09-09, 10:48 AM
O
That sounds like a pretty good alternative. I will give it a try. Thanks for your comments. Floyd

Old 01-09-09, 02:50 PM
Yes, you can use any of them, however, some versions may have elements you don't need

Feel free to choose any program and ask me before you buy it

Old 01-09-09, 07:07 PM
hi ousleyf How big is the pole barn and ceiling height? Your "plans" for instance the roof trusses will be figured by the truss company in stress load and clear span and bottom cord and pitch.
The perlin placement on the roof will be determined by the gage of steel you use for the roof as will the perlins for the side walls.
Township may want an engineer stamp on the truss part.
See where this is going. A cad is just at this point a pencil to draw with. Unless you area a engineer one ruler and eraser and drafting pencil will work. (your Choice)
I build pole buildings and a G C in house and Light commercial
I don't know how it is in your area me Pa lanc. But a pole building is not considered fixed Real Estate (No Footers? mobile home thing. I use Fabral steel here. Also check with your supplier you van get "seconds" thats still new but not perfect off the line. Where I get my steel I van watch them make it off of the rolls.

ragtop69gs That was interesting, did they allow you to stick build on a floating floor? Or did you have footers already? A standard pole building does NOT have any footers. It supported buy 6x6 in ground below freeze level. Thats the big savings verses stick built with footers and block work so apples to standard pole building the pole is a lot cheaper and quicker to erect. There are some good thoughts here but donuts to dollars the township has to except hand drawings in non commercial. I made changes in the parking lot with eraser ruler and pencil and re walked back in inspectors office to get a stamp of ok. I live in a county of 500,000 so its not all hickvelle
The other post here had some good advice and input.
Good luck