Stain doesn't match

Old 01-07-09, 11:43 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stain doesn't match

Last Summer I stained a trunk, coffee table and two end tables to match. Spouse built them with supplies given to us by a co-worker but I don't know what type of wood it is other than cherry veneer of some sort from Kimball Furniture Company.

I did not use any wood conditioner before staining. I orignally thought I had used Polyshades in cherry but he said I did each coat separately and remembers 3 coats of the actual stain so 3 coats of Minwax cherry stain and 1 or 2 coats of Mixwax clear satin polyurethane for protection.

He is now making me a computer armoire. I tried the Polyshades in cherry (since I thought I'd used it before) and it wasn't right. I then purchased cherry stain and satin sealer and tried that on scrap....still not the right color, more brown than red even after 3 coats.

I realized I won't get the "exact" shade I have since the wood is different but I wanted something close since the furniture is all in the same room.

Mahogany looks way too dark so I tried red oak, it's still too brown. I even tried it with and without conditioner this time, didn't make much difference.

The local hardware store is high priced and Lowe's is 50 miles round trip. I'll make one more run to town but want to get it right.

Any suggestions other than to buy one of each and keep practicing?

kjh9835

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-09, 01:04 PM
Continued experimentation is really all you can do.If there is any part of the existing peices such as a drawer etc that you can take with you to match to products in a store that's a good idea.

every product on every type of wood and even individual peices of the same wood can turn out very differently.that leave trying various combinations you only choice.

Though the local hardware may be "high priced" I doubt the pricing difference in what you need is very much since stain profit margin run less than 30%.Plus there are people there to help you with knowledge versus Lowe's which has no help to give or at best no knowledgeable employees.

Old 01-07-09, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by spdavid View Post
Continued experimentation is really all you can do.If there is any part of the existing peices such as a drawer etc that you can take with you to match to products in a store that's a good idea.
That was an easy answer, the end tables are not that big so I'll just take one of them with me and see what comes close to the color. Why didn't I think of that?

The stuff on the shelves at the local hardware store has been there quite awhile (as evidenced by the dust on the cans, faded labels and the separation which I had to stir, stir, stir). Will that make a difference or should I just go back to Lowes?

kjh9835

Old 01-07-09, 01:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 101 Votes on 93 Posts
As long as the pigments will completely mix in with then liquid part of the stain - it should be ok. When trying to match a stain, it is often best to go to a real paint store. If they don't have the color in stock, they can usually tint one of their stains to match.