Renew "Factory Shine" to Cast Iron Table

Old 01-11-09, 07:51 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Renew "Factory Shine" to Cast Iron Table

I had a Planer, Jointer and Table Saw in a Storage Unit for 18 months. Unfortuantely I did not put a wax coating and have ended up with quite a bit of rust. I've been able to remove the rust using Scotchbrite pads and Krud Kutter - The Must for Rust ... a phosphoric acid solution. The rust is gone, but the tops have a dull gray color.

Is there a way to brighten the cast iron back to a "factory shine" look. Any help would be appeciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-09, 03:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
This is definitely a case for the authorities! Falls in the category of "tool abuse". You could go to jail for that, you know!!
I had to do the same thing when we moved once, but I did coat them with WD-40 b4 storing them, luckily.
You are going to have to lubricate the surface anyway, so you may want to use a product similar to Liquid Wrench dry with teflon. When you spray it on, it dries almost immediately, but it leaves a really slick surface. I'm not sure if it would bring the luster back to the cast, but a regular spraying on mine seems to make them keep their appearance and wood glides well over it without residue buildup.

Old 01-12-09, 05:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 283 Posts
..... and I always thought 'tool abuse' was when you made a tool do a job it wasn't designed for

I've always used johnson's paste floor wax on my table saw top [aluminum] but the spray sounds easier - might would use it more often

Old 01-12-09, 03:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
No, that's "tool-slaughter". You get your charges mixed up. Hey, good idea on the wax. I may try it next, since I'm out of Liquid Wrench.